• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Greylag Geese - Neckbands (1 Viewer)

rin

:hi: Wow what a morning I had today........really excited ! :D :D

I set off about 9.15am and by 9.30am I was looking at a field of Greylag Geese of around 2000+.

What a find so early on, I was sitting just gob smacked as I have never seen so many geese in one place. These were at Bardnaclavan Farm Grid Ref ND 072 646.

There were three grelag geese wearing neck bands.

Greyish/Black Band with letters JFZ
Greyish/Black Band with letters SYZ
Orange band with letters DUF or maybe BUF, I couldn't see the bottom of the first letter due to the goose grazing.

I have reported these neckbands on www.ring.ac but if anyone has any info meantime let me know.

I went back to this location around 1.15pm but there wasn't a goose to be seen.

I saw another goose with a black neck band about 1.30pm today but the heavy rain caused poor light conditions and I couldn't read it which is a pity.

This was on the Lythmore Road grid ref ND 064 648. Again this was a big flock of well over 1000 geese and the field was not that far across the road from where I saw the geese this morning so possibly some of them just moved on to a new venue away from the passing traffic.

Other geese sightings this morning around 10.26am -

There were over 500 geese at Bardnaheigh area grid ref ND 033 643. This was a mixed flock of mostly Whitefronted geese. They were close to the old tin nissan hut. None of these had neck bands.

There were a further 150+ greylag geese at Achalone grid ref ND 033 643 none of which had neck bands.

That was quite a number of geese within a few miles of each other. I was just delighted.

Thanks for any information you may have.

Rin x

:bounce:

rin

Marmot said:
Look forward to hearing the results of where they had came from and been.

Me too. Kane is on the case as we speak so here's hoping there will be some information on the birds that I spotted yesterday. exciting stuff !

VarisIan

Further collared geese sightings

There have been a couple of sightings of collared geese reported in the Highland and Moray bird forum http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Highland_and_Moray_Birds/ and I have reported my sightings to Bob Swann e-mail robert.swann 'at' homecall.co.uk who is the man responsible for the ringing of the geese I have spotted. He responds same day to my reports.
I find that quick repliess keep the enthusiasm up.

rin

Oops sorry forgot to post this reply here, silly me put it in against our 'Local Patch' thread.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=70067&page=3&pp=25

I have received back information on the two greylag neck collars that I saw at the weekend.

JFZ was ringed at Dalreoch, Aberuthven, Tays, Grid Ref NN9917 on 06/02/1999. It has been seen at 17 other locations around Scotland since then but not spotted anywhere exotic as yet ! It was first reported this winter in Caithness on 11/11/2006 and hadn't been reported since 28/12/2004.

SYZ was ringed at Loch Eye, Grid Ref NH8277 on 09/11/2002 and has been seen at 8 other locations mostly around Scotland but once in Donegal on 19.01.2003 since being ringed. It was last reported on 05/12/2005 near Loch Eye.

Thanks to Bob Swann and Kane Brides for this information. Very quick response, excellent service and history detail.

Thanks guys.

Rin x

Users who are viewing this thread