• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Just a couple of pictures from Thursday trying to get to grips with replacement camera to the one I lost , the same but slightly updated , and i've been having a 'mare' |!|.

Attachments

• P1010679.JPG
    P1010679.JPG
    375.2 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010682.JPG
    P1010682.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 17
  • P1010686.JPG
    P1010686.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 17
Sunday morning ,overcast and cold,Sling pool and Holt ,green sandpiper , 2LRPlovers and redshanks. 3 wheatears 2 Male on prairie . 2 singing blackcaps along Lane fresh in.
Wagon Wheel another green sandpiper and half a dozen swallows were also new for the year. Marsh tit grimley brook feeders —- slightly cheating but they all count .
Camp lane ,a pair of shelduck west shore with redshank and 4 LRPlovers . C 50 sand martins overhead .

Sunday continued quite a few fieldfare overhead still and red-legged partridge again on church farm meadows.

Attachments

• P1010706.JPG
    P1010706.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 22
  • P1010707.JPG
    P1010707.JPG
    289.6 KB · Views: 10
Tuesday evening cold (6c) hail showers. On arriving at Camp Lane sandmartins we’re feeding over the entire complex hard to estimate but 3 to 500. Duck numbers are dropping off with tufted, teal and shovellor in the low 20’s and pochard 4(3male) , wigeon 3. 2 redshank 3 LRP and 2 buzzards over. A few fieldfare still.
Sling 5 redshank very vocal with 2LRP and 9 snipe. 2 shelduck feeding at the far end and 2 oystercatcher flying over.

Sunday morning ,overcast, 2 Egyptian geese fields behind Sling pool, and a willow warbler singing along the lane .
Camp lane pits 2 house martins in with c200 sand martins . 1 swallow south end and a curlew high flying north. The star find of the day was as I was crossing the southern causeway anotter down to a couple of metres, which ,although I don’t think I was seen managed to sneak off and not seen again . I’ve seen them on the river before but never in the Camp lane complex.
Around the wagon wheel area 8 red-legged partridges in 4 separate pairs.
Later at Camp lane north end my first little egret of the year.
68 species for the day.

Couple of pictures from Sunday.

Attachments

• P1010727.JPG
    P1010727.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 20
  • P1010719.JPG
    P1010719.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 21
  • P1010723.JPG
    P1010723.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 27
Tuesday evening , Camp Lane pits sand martins very active over the water and now with a few more swallows. 3 dunlin 2 in partial summer plumage hippo West Bank as was a Male wheatear. 4 shelduck on main pit and up to 7 redshank west shore. Amongst a group of pied wagtails at least 3 white( alba) wagtails.
The little egret remains .

Thursday evening ,sunny and still, good numbers of sand martin again and also still a white wagtail.
2 yellow wagtails were also present, although these were disturbed by 3 passing hang gliders I did get a quick photo . Brings my yearly tally at Grimley to 100 species. Very few ducks on show tonight with 3 shelduck the best, this applied to coots as well but some of these are now on nests.
Off on my annual trip to Tittistone Clee so no Sunday update .

Attachments

• P1010748.JPG
    P1010748.JPG
    347.9 KB · Views: 34
  • P1010740.JPG
    P1010740.JPG
    246.7 KB · Views: 33
Tuesday evening very still, 3 yellow wagtails N. Causeway . South causeway a pair of mallard with 6 ducklings first Young I’ve seen this year at Grimley. Good to see as she must have been incubating through the last 3 weeks of cold weather. Which is a good sign that the other early ground nesting birds should be successful as well. Last years early nesters had a complete disaster .

Thursday evening 3 wheatear church farm meadows and 1 camp lane . Heard my first reed warbler ,song subdued from fishing pools.
2 common sandpipers along the river severn and also a very distant cuckoo somewhere the other side of bevere lock.

Attachments

• P1010761 (1024x683).jpg
    P1010761 (1024x683).jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 13
  • P1010768 (800x600).jpg
    P1010768 (800x600).jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 12
  • P1010776 (1024x768).jpg
    P1010776 (1024x768).jpg
    133 KB · Views: 14
Friday morning/afternoon, common whitethroats have returned in several places where brambles have been left, nice to see. Reed warblers in multiple places and 2 sedge warblers along the N. Causeway.
Lots of circling buzzards seen with 5 over wagon wheel pools alone. Wheatear Church farm meadow and at 2pm cuckoo seen and heard for an hour also Church farm.
7 species of butterfly on the wing with multiples of brimstone, orange tip and holly blue the best.
67 species seen on the day.

Sunday morning , Camp lane , from the car lesser whitethroat singing, and later another at holt/ sling , again from the car. 2 wheatear Church Farm meadows. The whitethroats first seen 3 days ago are already nest building as was a linnet.
A very confiding song thrush was gathering leather jackets at sling .

Attachments

• P1010813 (1024x683).jpg
    P1010813 (1024x683).jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 10
No I missed it Patch must of been walking around with my eyes closed as there was also a report of a Male marsh harrier at about the time. :C.

No I missed it Patch must of been walking around with my eyes closed as there was also a report of a Male marsh harrier at about the time. :C.

a poor quality pic (taken at 9:39am)

the bird crossed the cultivated field to the west of the pool at about treetop height (travelling south to north), crossed the pool (about where the cultivated field ends), followed the path next to camp lane south and crossed the hedge towards the river a couple of hundred meters before the barn

jon

Attachments

• mh.jpg
    mh.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 94
Tuesday evening , after visiting Elan Valley Ryader and seeing redstarts in every bush and tree I was hopeful one might be lurking in one of the hedgerows. 3 hours later I decided that they must all be in Wales.
However a Male Sparrowhawk was hunting the North end landing on the fence line before moving off .
Church farm meadows 1 wheatear still , and over by the dead swan 3 yellow wagtails (2 Male ) ,c15 pied and 2 white.
Wagon Wheel a pair of kestrels 1 carrying what appeared to be a reed bunting/ dunnock.

Thursday evening , stormy, common tern and a swift new in at Camp Lane pits
Wagon wheel quiet with a mallard and 6 ducklings . On returning across the fields Church Farm , above the fresh planted pea field next to the road a ALPINE SWIFT with mixed hurrindes and 2 common swift.
WOW , watched for an hour , the bird was photographed ( not by me ) and a good picture of the underside could be clearly seen . Alan Chambers also observed the bird . A bad picture to follow 1 out of 70 taken ,but I had to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back