• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Grimley and Holt (1 Viewer)

Isaac2

Quick report on a difficult year at Grimley and Holt , I set out to see 100 species not difficult but you need some sort of goal or at least I do and 125 species were seen . Of these 5 were new species for me and were Brambling, Pink-footed Goose, Red-Crested Pochard, Bar-headed Goose and Rose-Coloured Starling . Unfortunately the first and the last were not photographed so you will have to trust me .
Waders have been few and far between with only single sightings of Ringed Plover, Greenshank, Curlew, Little Stint and Dunlin the last unbelievable compared to other years. On the up side Redshank were successful and Oystercatcher, LRP, and Lapwing all nested although i dont know there outcomes .
Only managed to see 1 yellow wagtail and 1 Wheatear and Whinchat on 3 occasions. Redstarts on the other hand were numerous with a hedgerow leading towards the river favored for a long time with 5 seen at once on multiple occasions.
On a personal highlight my count of 28 little Egrets roosting beat my previous record of 6 . I could go on but if you read previous entries im only duplicating those , and the beauty of bird Forum you can go back years . So heres a happy new year to you all and I look forward to finding another 100 species in 2021 come what may.

Isaac2

The new year started with a Buzzard seen flying down and landing by a hedgerow next to Sling Pool, reappearing a few minutes later with a large Rat! .
Male Goldeneye south end CLP ,water rail heard and Raven over.
Most of the areas of water except that by the river were frozen.
Approx 200 wigeon a Male Goosander ,Great White and Little Egret the highlights along the river.
Church Farm fields (with cattle) 4 pairs of Stonechat ,linnets, Goldfinches, Skylarks, meadow pipits , grey wagtail and 3 Redpolls the latter the first I,ve seen in 3 years.
A single Siskin was up by car park with a bunch of Goldfinches probably feeding on the food put out in the Ark garden.
62 species seen and I think Carl who was with me was chuffed with the total which included a pair of Bullfinches the first he could remember seeing at the site.

Isaac2

A cold morning at Grimley, there were fresh Otter tracks on the North causeway you could see where it had entered and exited the water at several places . CLP had an increase in numbers of all the more common waterbirds although the Goldeneye seen a few days ago was absent.
The river flash at the end of wagon wheel lane [now passable] and a Great White Egret was here but flew upriver, and also Little egret. Lots of Canada Geese and approx 200 Wigeon but the best a Male Pintail which i'd seen 2 days earlier but could not confirm.
Kingfisher in the swamp looking down river, 2 courting Great Spotted woodpeckers overhead, drumming occasionally.
Down river towards the lock a pair of Goosander and green Woodpecker. 1-3 jan 2021 157.JPG

Isaac2

Water Rail seen 3 times North causeway. Pintail Wagon Wheel floods being watched by a Peregrine eyeing up its next meal.
Group of 8 Siskins along the river as well as 4 goosander, 1 male . 3 Great-White Egrets and a Little Egret in trees at the back of WW floods 2021_4_jan 006.JPG 2021_4_jan 004.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread