• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Grimley (1 Viewer)

Reader

This is an area next to a small village situated about 6 miles north of Worcester on the west bank of the River Severn. It is reached via the A443. (If you want the O/S map for the area you need map No 150). The fields flood regularly around here but the main birding spots are the pits. They are split into two. Grimley new workings and also the old workings. In between these two sets of pits you have the river walk which can be very productive. The new workings are situated at SO835 597 & the old is at SO831 613.

The river walk is reached by going to the other end of Grimley. The drivable track down to the river starts by the side of the excellent Wagon Wheel pub. Co-ordinates SO841 607.
As you go back out of Grimley there is another hidden pool by an old vicarage that can also turn up anything but this pool is hidden by the roadside hedge. (last year, at this vicarage, there was a Lady Amherst's Pheasant that appeared out of nowhere). Co-ordinates SO829 603

A couple of miles away you have the Holt prairies situated around the delightful Holt Church which is also surrounded by one of the nicest situated villages you would wish to see and within this area you have a series of fishing pits that can produce as well. The prairies are covered in co-ordinates SO82 to 83 & 62 to 63. The fishing pits are at the southern end of the prairies.

Slightly to the south you have Monk Wood which has various nature trails through it. This wood can also turn up anything. Co-ordinates are SO805 607. To reach this you go through one of my favourite Worcestershire villages, Sinton Green.

On this day we didn't call into the old workings or the prairies just the new workings after a Green winged Teal, which we didn't find and the river walk after Lesser spotted woodpecker, which we did find.

I have put a trip report in of this day into the birding day forum but to summarise the birds seen here are as follows.

Grimley new workings:
500 + Canada Geese
a few Mute Swan,
20 + Teal
numerous Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Mallard and coot
Green Sandpiper
Little Grebe

Grimley river walk
2 Lesser spotted wodpeckers (there are 4 being reported here)
1 Firecrest
1 fem Blackcap
1 Treecreeper
1 Buzzard
1 Kestrel
1 Fieldfare
1 Song Thrush
2 Cormorant
2 Mute Swan
20+ Chaffinch
20+ Great tit
20+ Blue Tit
5 Siskin
20+ Goldfinch
5 Goldcrest.

I have placed a photo of a section of the river severn here.

The day didn't finish there but we went to another county to view the Bitterns at Ladywalk, which is in Warwickshire. I will put this reserve into the Warwickshire section.
1 Wren

Attachments

• grimley2395.jpg
    grimley2395.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 330
Nice area John, I haven't been round that way for years. Sounds like you had a good day. The river looks a little on the full side. Just had to look up th Lady A. Pheasant as I have never seen one. Very attractive.

Mike

Excellent review John. I'd certainly be paying a visit if I lived down that way to see the Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, not to mention the Blackcap, Firecrest and Goldcrests.

Mike

The river is actually running near normal. You will know when it is running high. This is a good area for birding as the fields are relatively low and can flood quicker than most places. The L.A Pheasant is a good looking bird but I have yet to see one. I tried quite a few times after this bird at Grimley but failed, unfortuanately it seems to have gone now. I have also been to sites near to Ampthill at the side of the M1 where they are resident and failed. They are an extremely hard bird to find.

Ian

If ever you are in this region, as is any other member, feel free to give me a call or go to the Midlands section in the County by County forum and you will see that I have actually given the o/s co-ordinates as well as the o/s map book numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back