• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s UK Birding List 2022 (1 Viewer)

They’re very close together, was a 25 minute drive from one to the other the other day. It’s not being very showy though and I dipped. I think it’s largely a hedge or field away and occasionally coming to the feeders

Some nice birds there Rich glad you got greylag, you’re pheasant up on me now as well
Thanks Owene.

My youngest has tested positive for Covid so it was just me and the hound out today. Lovely walk around Garwnant. Was hoping for some birds of prey given the weather but a solitary Buzzard was all we could manage. A few Common Crossbills around and a Dipper was a year tick.

109. Dipper

Had a few hours down the Gower today. Nice and quiet at Rhossili. Ravens, Common Scoters and Chough present. Big flock of Linnets also.

Then over to Dalton Point. Nobody around so the boy had a good run. Tide was out but managed to pick up 3 distant Spoonbills on the Carms side, Pintail and Greenfinch.

110. Chough
111. Greenfinch
112. Pintail
113. Spoonbill.

Another glorious day in Somerset. Arrived at Greylake for 7:50. A few of us were searching and a local picked it out after just over an hour. Baikal Teal on the life list. Water Rail and Cettis also around.

Fancied a bit more casual birding so went for a wander around Shapwick Heath. Plenty of Marsh Harriers around and was quite surprised to hear a couple of Bitterns booming. A chunky female Sparrowhawk made me look twice.

Next it was over to Catcott via Tealham. The Tundra Bean Goose was still with the Canada Geese there and showing well. At Catcott I didn’t stay long as the Ibis hadn’t been seen for a few hours. Decided to head over to Brean Down. Unfortunately I couldn’t locate the Ring Ouzel that had been seen a few days ago though I tried my hardest to make the solitary Blackbird into one:LOL:

Thinking I’d spent a fiver to see a Blackbird I thought I’d scan the cliffs as they looked good for falcons. Sure enough, there was a Peregrine sat up. Even with my 10x32’s I could see it was a Peregrine but I just confirmed with the SX60. It really has a great zoom in such a small package. The Peregrine is sat up in the middle of the photo of the cliffs.

114. Baikal Teal Lifer #1
115. Bittern
116. Peregrine

Some really friendly birders around Somerset as usual.

Rich

Life list now 304.

Attachments

• 74298515-56CE-4781-A4AB-B3B847DED65C.jpeg
    74298515-56CE-4781-A4AB-B3B847DED65C.jpeg
    851.3 KB · Views: 10
  • B74FA6B2-018F-419E-BC77-6EA6D7E6FEAF.jpeg
    B74FA6B2-018F-419E-BC77-6EA6D7E6FEAF.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 10
  • FBD173FE-F4B1-4C4A-B9A2-568E668CB07F.jpeg
    FBD173FE-F4B1-4C4A-B9A2-568E668CB07F.jpeg
    79.3 KB · Views: 10
@stu. Hi Stu. I didn’t PM you to catch up as my youngest tested positive for Covid recently. He’s back in school now and all my LFT’s have been -ve. but I thought it was better safe than sorry.

Rich

Last edited:
So the alarm was set for 3:15 and we were out of the house before 4. Made good time driving through the heart of Wales and arrived at Roach Bridge in about 4 hours.

No issues parking. And the farmer was nowhere to be seen - though I had 2 tenners ready. The walk was short but very muddy. Max only had daps on and almost lost one at one stage:ROFLMAO:

Arriving at site immediately heard the target bird call. And within a couple of minutes it was perched in a tree in front of us. Why can’t all birding be this easy:p Had great views before it flew upstream. Max wanted to stay longer to try to get a photo and within half an hour it was back.

117. Belted Kingfisher Lifer #2 And finally a competitor for PFG for my bird of the year.

Only a small group there but some all really friendly. A local couple, birders from Essex, Suffolk, Bridgewater, Cheshire and Manchester. Great for the Manchester birder as he said he’s dipped the Aberdeen bird by one day!

Stopped off at The Green Dragon on our way home. Lovely little pub just outside Welshpool. Max celebrated with a beautiful medium rare sirloin. I had the homemade faggots. Great they made their own but for me, the balance wasn’t quite there.

To top off a great day I watched the game I’d recorded. Having avoided social media all afternoon it was great, and very unexpected, to see us get a victory over the Scots. Happy days.

Attachments

• 90E9D929-EF4B-443B-9BC7-537C874E99EC.jpeg
    90E9D929-EF4B-443B-9BC7-537C874E99EC.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 7
Great to see you & Max got the BK Rich, it's a real class act. Arch & I also undertook big day out yesterday, for the Eastbourne Robin, picking up Red-breasted Goose on the way home.
Nice James. We’d love to go for the Robin but it’d need to stick around for a few weeks. We’re heading to Norfolk for half term. Unless I get lost on the way of course:p

Good luck in South Wales over half term.

Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back