• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s UK Birding List 2023 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Thanks to Ollie again for setting this up.

2023 started in the same location as last year. Unfortunately my youngest didn’t want to come so I was on my own.

Arrived at Parkend for first light. Mammals seen whilst driving through the Forest of Dean included Wild Boar and Roe Deer.

6 Hawfinch were at Parkend. It was then off to Cannop Ponds to year tick the Mandarin.

From here it was a short hop to Barrow Gurney. Sat-nav took me through the new low emission zone so I’ll have to check on the website to see if I need to pay. The Long-tailed Duck was present and correct so it was off to Chew Valley Lake. Great to get Smew on the year list on the first day. Met some very friendly birders as well.

Next it was off to Shapwick Heath with a little time at Ham Wall. American Wigeon was still hanging around.

Decided to look for the Kentish Plover at Burnham but no joy. The beach was rammed and whilst there were plenty of birds out on the little island I could not pick the Plover out. So decided to head to Steart. I must admit this isn’t my favourite reserve. Best I could manage was a Spoonbill.

Full list of species seen below:

1. Robin
2. Wren
3. Starling
4. Wood Pigeon
5. Collared Dove
6. House Sparrow
7. Dunnock
8. Blue Tit
9. Great Tit
10. Coal Tit
11. Chaffinch
12. Greenfinch
13. Hawfinch
14. Blackbird
15. Mistle Thrush
16. Raven
17. Rook
18. Jackdaw
19. Carrion Crow
20 Magpie
21. Black-headed Gull
22. Herring Gull
23. Lesser-black backed Gull
24. Tufted Duck
25. Mandarin
26. Bullfinch
27. Mallard
28. Wigeon
29. Gadwall
30. Northern Shoveller
31. Pochard
32. Little Grebe
33. GCG
34. Mute Swan
35. Cormorant
36. Marsh Harrier
37. Common Buzzard
38. Little Egret
39. Great White Egret
40. Grey Heron
41. Greylag Goose
42. Canada Goose
43. Lapwing
44. Redshank
45. Black-tailed Godwit
46. Nuthatch
47. Green Woodpecker
48. Pies Wagtail
49. Moorhen
50. Coot
51. Long-tailed Duck
52. Smew
53. Goldeneye
54. Common Gull
55. Kestrel
56. American Wigeon
57. Teal
58. Reed Bunting
59. Shelduck
60. Dunlin
61. Oystercatcher
62. Snipe
63. Grey Plover
64. Feral Pigeon
65. Golden Plover
66. Stonechat
67. Knot
68. Spoonbill
69. Avocet.

A really enjoyable day.

Spent the day near the house and then took the boys down to Burryport. Never seen Burryport so busy btw. Heaps of paddle boarders and dog walkers.

70. Greater Black-backed Gull
71. Redwing
72. Song Thrush
73. Sparrowhawk
74. Grey Wagtail
75. Rock Pipit
76. Linnet
77. Long-tailed Tit
78. Goldcrest

Great New Year’s Day. As I said earlier I think I’ll head that way on Sunday. I’ve never really got chew valley lake and where you are allowed to park and bird. Although I need laughing gull so might try Devon if that hangs around

Hi Owen. There’s a road that runs right alongside it at one point with great parking. That’s where the Smew was though distant.

Rich

Last edited:
Nipped down to Kenfig for an hour this morning. Good company in the hide. A bit too slow for the Sibe but did add the following:

83. Cettis Warbler
84. Great Spotted Woodpecker
85. ChiffChaff

And then walking the dog up the lane this evening:

86. Tawny Owl

Got an earlyish start in the morning with BF member Owen. Also picking up Rob. Keeping everything crossed for a lifer.

Rich

Absolutely brilliant day out with Rob and Owen today. Stopped off at Barrow Gurney and Chew Valley Lake for the Smew and LTD.

Then down to Slapton Sands. Amazing. The second Gull we saw was the Laughing Gull. Point blank views down to a few feet. A lifer for Rob and Owen. Also good to bump into Rich again. We were watching the Shrike together at Bempton last summer. Also added Ring-necked Duck.

Next it was off to Colyford Common. Took a while as there were large delays on one of the A roads.

The Izzy Wheatear showed really well. A lifer for me and Rob but not Owen. Spent a couple of hours waiting for the Wagtail but unfortunately it was a no show.

Time to head home.

87. Pheasant
88. Kittiwake
89. Shag
90. Gannet
91. Common Scoter
92. Mediterranean Gull
93. Laughing Gull
94. Ring-necked Duck
95. Meadow Pipit
96. Water Pipit
97. Curlew
98. Isabelline Wheatear. Lifer #1🎉

Attachments

• B40B56D5-D12D-4D60-A162-D27C65B00C3B.jpeg
    B40B56D5-D12D-4D60-A162-D27C65B00C3B.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 7
Wasn’t expecting to add anything today as it’s a work day. When Rob posted news of a Cattle Egret up the Cimla I decided to head over during my lunch break. Really unusual bird for this area.

With a little time left I called in at the Gnoll to year tick Goosander. And strangely there was another unexpected bird here - Kittiwake. Have never seen one here before and can’t remember one ever being reported.

99. Cattle Egret
100. Goosander

Attachments

• 9A3342A1-1AE8-4BB8-876F-3FC7618789FA.jpeg
    9A3342A1-1AE8-4BB8-876F-3FC7618789FA.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Still not come across a Fieldfare on my travels!! Not much chance to get out at the weekend unless I head to Kenfig for first light. Not too bothered as really looking forward to a weekend in Norfolk with my youngest in 2 weeks.

Did add a tick in the garden today though. A cracking pair of Siskins.

102. Siskin

Managed to duck out this morning and arrived at Kidwelly not too long after first light. A lovely morning here and always good to catch up with Bernie.

From the Quay were 7 Common Snipe, Greenshanks, Avocet, Dunlins, 13 RB Mergansers, GCG’s, Pintail and Bern picked out a Peregrine that plucked a bird from the surface of the water. Something I’d not seen before.

At the sewage treatment plant were heaps of Common ChiffChaffs and at least 3 Siberian ChiffChaff. Bern got the Firecrest but I missed it. Bern also picked out a sulking Water Rail. Nice to see a pair of Blackcaps there as well.

103. Pintail
104. Greenshank
105. Water Rail
106. Red breasted Merganser
107. Blackcap

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back