• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2021 (1 Viewer)

Day 11

A quick drive up to Cairngorm car park did not produce anything. Did see a bird with a white bib which turned out to be a Dipper. Was thinking Rouzel when it first caught my eye :D

Back at the cottage the OH was preparing to take the boys to the Highland Wildlife Park. Took the opportunity to complete a circa 10 mile walk through Abernethy Forest with my old man and the dog. Absolutely beautiful walk. Not too many birds as it was during the heat of the day. And I think that’s the first time I’ve written that in a trip report from Scotland :p Did pick up Siskin and Spotted Flycatchers. My old man saw a couple of Crossbill sp and I heard some. Good numbers of Wood Ants nests along the track as well.

Back at the cottage I cooked dinner ready for tomorrow and the family returned. Sars and I nipped off to Loch Ruthven. Beautiful there in the evening sunshine. Immediately got on to 5 Slavonian Grebes. Looking well smart in the evening sun. Don’t think the Dabchick mam was too happy with them though leaving her nest to have the occasional squabble. This revealed that she was sitting on eggs. Not sure if I’ve seen Dabchick eggs before:unsure: The hide at Loch Ruthven remains closed btw.

Back home then for a decent evening meal and a soak in the hot tub.

Rich
Love the Slavonian Rich - not a common bird here and never in breeding plumage!

Chris

Day 12

Off to Handa. A cracking day. Cost of the boat is now £20 p/adult. Initially didn’t think we’d get on as the car park was full. One of the locals was very helpful though and showed us somewhere to park up the hill.

Got on to a Redpoll sp on the hill but didn’t get a photo as there was a car behind us. A pale individual with white wing bars. Is Common/ Mealy a possibility here? Didn’t see the rump unfortunately :cry:

Crossing over we had great views of Tysties. On the island itself there seemed to be more Arctic Skuas than previous visits. Bonxies were all over the place as well. On the cliffs there were the usual Fulmars, Guillemots and Razorbills. Also a few Puffins. Inland we saw some Newts in a small lochan and a family of Red Grouse. Wheatear, Skylarks and Meadow Pipits were everywhere. My sister wasn’t overly impressed at getting dive bombed by the Skuas:ROFLMAO:

Got back to the cottage at about 8 and then warmed up yesterday’s beef in red wine and dumplings before hitting the hot tub.

Rich

Attachments

• 84380DEC-2994-4379-AA0D-EC32DFB1A0BF.jpeg
    84380DEC-2994-4379-AA0D-EC32DFB1A0BF.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 75D22B6A-4DBC-4956-995F-3316C07C4731.jpeg
    75D22B6A-4DBC-4956-995F-3316C07C4731.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 13
  • ED22A38D-28A9-4180-96E0-17941A5876B6.jpeg
    ED22A38D-28A9-4180-96E0-17941A5876B6.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 13
Day 13

Very quiet day today. Quick walk around Loch Garten this morning then dropped my parents off at Inverness Airport. From here it was off to Chanonry Point. Again it was a real pain to get a parking space but eventually we did.

After a couple of hours wait we had fantastic views of the Bottle-nosed Dolphins.

Rich

Last edited:
Day 14

Dropped the family off of at Landmark for 10:00 and headed to Cairngorm car park. As I was a bit pushed for time so I decided to take the most direct path (at least I think it is) to the summit. The path is called Windy Ridge and can be accessed from the car park. Being quite direct also meant it was pretty steep to begin with. I needed new lungs on the way up, and new knees on the way back down :LOL:

Totally worth it though. The views from the top are spectacular. A fella from Aberdeen took a photo of me and the hound at the top which was very decent him. The boy needed a good walk before tomorrow’s trip home. He was fantastic company tbh. Didn’t pull at all on the way back down which could have been a bit ropey.

At the top we had great views of a Dotterel. Unfortunately my camera was in my rucksack so I didn’t get a decent photo. On the way back down we had a great view of a male Ring Ouzel. This was pretty close to the car park itself.

Off to pick the family up we finished off the holiday with pie and chips from Craig’s Bar in Grantown. A delicious end to a great holiday.

Rich

Attachments

• B3154C73-E616-42A0-80F9-F69CC4EC95E3.jpeg
    B3154C73-E616-42A0-80F9-F69CC4EC95E3.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 24
  • 6225235E-E0F4-4D47-988D-71F2AF4F4118.jpeg
    6225235E-E0F4-4D47-988D-71F2AF4F4118.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 20DC7E05-0AF8-4E2F-85D0-DF19D05254D3.jpeg
    20DC7E05-0AF8-4E2F-85D0-DF19D05254D3.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 26
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back