• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2021 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Ok. So this could be a very short thread:eek: Mull was cancelled over New Year and Yellowstone was cancelled for April.

We’ve got two weeks booked up in Scotland at the end of May so fingers crossed for that one. The plan is that me, my youngest, and the hound will head up to the Outer Hebs for the first week.

For the second week I’ll be picking up My OH and oldest at Inverness airport to stay in Nethy. My sister and her family will also be there for the second week and so will my parents. I’m hitting the big 5 oh in June so it’s a bit of a celebration.

I’m hoping to wangle a new pair of bins as well. When I was 40 Sars got me a set of Trinovids 8X42 BN’s. Looking at a set of 10x32’s this time. Have been thoroughly enjoying reading Lee and our other members reviews.

Everything relies on it being safe to travel. I’m booked to have my second vaccination in April which might help, and Sars is also waiting for her second.

Again, with a fair wind I’ll be hoping to get up to Norfolk at some stage as well and have a trip away with friends. Skye seems to be the favourite there. My old school friends are trying to get Yellowstone rearranged so that might be in the mix as well.

Rich

Sounds great Rich. You'll love the outer islands!!

How the heck have you managed to get jabs already. I've not even heard about mine. And my brother's 80 and hasn't had his yet!!! Hummmmph!!!!

Sounds great Rich. You'll love the outer islands!!

How the heck have you managed to get jabs already. I've not even heard about mine. And my brother's 80 and hasn't had his yet!!! Hummmmph!!!!
We’re both classed as Keyworkers D. Roll out seems to be gathering pace now so hopefully it’ll be very soon.

Rich

Well we’ve taken a chance and booked the Outer Hebs for the last week of May. Staying on North Uist at a place call Carinish.

In the process of reading Paul’s trip report and checking the map, it’s a very short distance away from where Paul stayed.

Haven’t been before so really hoping this goes ahead. The booking place has been great. Full refund if it gets cancelled due to COVID.

Time to finish reading Paul’s report (y)

Rich

Well we’ve taken a chance and booked the Outer Hebs for the last week of May. Staying on North Uist at a place call Carinish.

In the process of reading Paul’s trip report and checking the map, it’s a very short distance away from where Paul stayed.

Haven’t been before so really hoping this goes ahead. The booking place has been great. Full refund if it gets cancelled due to COVID.

Time to finish reading Paul’s report (y)

Rich
There's some great birding up there Rich. You'll have a great time if wee Jimmie Krankie gets her act together.

John

Just paid off the balance on the Outer Hebs trip. Can’t wait.

Had to make a slight adjustment to Nethy week. 3 families in one cottage was never going to be allowed so my parents are looking to book in to the hotel or the B&B above the cafe. We’ll make sure we comply with the guidelines.

Rich

Also looking at booking a few nights on Skye in September. Not been there at that time of the year. I’m guessing good for raptors and sea birds?? Will be with a bunch of mates and looking to stay at Broadford again.

Rich

Lucky you! You're going to be near one of the best spots in the UK to see Long-tailed Skua passage at Aird an Rùnair headland (Balranald). I haven't been for many years but I remember seeing Corncrake there and a few Long-tailed Skua sometime in the 1990's. It used to be a good spot for Red-necked Phalaropes I believe but we never saw one.

Heres a good write up on the Skua passage.

Long-tailed Skua Spring Migration

Lucky you! You're going to be near one of the best spots in the UK to see Long-tailed Skua passage at Aird an Rùnair headland (Balranald). I haven't been for many years but I remember seeing Corncrake there and a few Long-tailed Skua sometime in the 1990's. It used to be a good spot for Red-necked Phalaropes I believe but we never saw one.

Heres a good write up on the Skua passage.

Long-tailed Skua Spring Migration
Cheers Mike.

Rich

Hello Rich
Myself ,brother ,uncle and cousin will be on the Outer Hebrides the week before you starting Saturday 15 May all being well and this will be our 20th Year . The islands are a great place for birding and at this time of year apart from the expected you have the chance to find your own goodies . Skua passage can be outstanding but is all weather dependent and when you book a year in advance as we do you take your chances We have had some great skua years and others with no passage. We usually rent a cottage on North Uist and I see you are staying at Carinish which is a good area to stay. I know you will probably read many trip reports by others to get as much information as you can before you arrive but please feel free to private message me if you need any specific information on birds or sites (grid references ) The Hebrides are well watched so I won’t be passing on information that’s not widely known . I know you will have a great weeks birding and I know we are keeping everything crossed that we get onto the Uists this year as we really missed last year.

Dave

Cheers Dave. I can’t wait tbh. Just explore as much as we can. Fish and chips in Stornaway will definitely be a day out as well.

I’m guessing divers can pretty much turn up anywhere? Max is looking forward to going to Balnarald. Corncrake would be a lifer for him. Long-tailed and Pom would be lifers for me but I understand there’s always an element of chance.

Rich

Hi Rich

GN Divers are always in the bay at Aird Runair which is the place for skua watching Aird Runair is at the end of the track from Balranald Corncrake can be seen and heard well at Balranald but can be seen in many places. You will know by checking the weather if you have a good chance for skua passage The other 2 divers can be seen at the well known sites and can also turn up anywhere. As I said don’t hesitate to contact me for any information on sites etc although I know you will find your own places to explore .
I note you like Speyside we did this for many years back in the 90’s and it’s a great place for birding then in 1998 we went over to North Uist for 1 day slept in the car overnight and got the ferry back later that day and we we’re blown away with it hence still loving it 20 plus years later .

Dave

Hi Rich

GN Divers are always in the bay at Aird Runair which is the place for skua watching Aird Runair is at the end of the track from Balranald Corncrake can be seen and heard well at Balranald but can be seen in many places. You will know by checking the weather if you have a good chance for skua passage The other 2 divers can be seen at the well known sites and can also turn up anywhere. As I said don’t hesitate to contact me for any information on sites etc although I know you will find your own places to explore .
I note you like Speyside we did this for many years back in the 90’s and it’s a great place for birding then in 1998 we went over to North Uist for 1 day slept in the car overnight and got the ferry back later that day and we we’re blown away with it hence still loving it 20 plus years later .

Dave
Diolch Dave (y)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back