• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold’s Vacations 2021 (1 Viewer)

I remember one trip to the Uist‘s where we found Otters very easily. If you do a Google search for Pobull Fhinn which is an ancient stone circle overlooking Loch Langass you’ll see a track leading East (I think) carry on a little ways and sit on the heather around dusk and you should see the otters.

Another favourite spot is on South Uist. You can drive right out to the Atlantic and sit in your car and watch the seabirds go by. It‘s been 25 years or so but think this is it. I used to park the VW Camper and stay all night.

Great Sea-Watching

Mike/ Rich
The point on South Uist that you have remembered Mike is known as Rubha Ardvule and is the main sea watching site on South Uist You were able to drive out to the headland until a few years back then a storm washed away best part of the track next to the sandy bay You now need a good 4x4 to get down the stoney track that’s left. We park on the grass before this and walk down . Rich you can seawatch from the car at the small parking area at the end of the track that goes from Balranald to Aird Runair if the weather is to bad to walk to the point.
Dave

Mike/ Rich
The point on South Uist that you have remembered Mike is known as Rubha Ardvule and is the main sea watching site on South Uist You were able to drive out to the headland until a few years back then a storm washed away best part of the track next to the sandy bay You now need a good 4x4 to get down the stoney track that’s left. We park on the grass before this and walk down . Rich you can seawatch from the car at the small parking area at the end of the track that goes from Balranald to Aird Runair if the weather is to bad to walk to the point.
Dave
That’s a shame. It was wonderful to be able to drive and just sit and watch the world go past while drinking tea.
I found this photo along with the name Rubha Ardvule.
9D2ED042-063D-473C-ADBC-8129D1709E0F.jpeg

Hi Mike
it is a shame We always have1 day of our weeks birding on South Uist and would drive out to Rubha Ardvule for some seawatching .Love the photo of the campervan I bet back then there weren’t many campervans about compared to now a days . Happy memories

Hi Mike
it is a shame We always have1 day of our weeks birding on South Uist and would drive out to Rubha Ardvule for some seawatching .Love the photo of the campervan I bet back then there weren’t many campervans about compared to now a days . Happy memories
Hey Dave, this was in the late 80’s or early 90’s I think as I bought the VW when it was a couple of years old. Many happy hours parked there as I love sea watching especially in comfort. We often spent the night parked there and in those days nobody bothered you. I love the islands and what I’d give to retrace those times today.

As you say, Happy Memories.

Thanks for reminding me. 😀

Mike We first went over to the Uists in 1990 from our base in Speyside and the 4 of us slept in the car overnight We then didn’t go back until 1998 and apart from 3 years when we did an autumn trip to northeast Scotland this will be our 20th trip . As a family of birders we have had some fantastic birding memories as well as a great time .We have met and become friends with many other birders of the years. Happy memories indeed

Mike We first went over to the Uists in 1990 from our base in Speyside and the 4 of us slept in the car overnight We then didn’t go back until 1998 and apart from 3 years when we did an autumn trip to northeast Scotland this will be our 20th trip . As a family of birders we have had some fantastic birding memories as well as a great time .We have met and become friends with many other birders of the years. Happy memories indeed
You missed the Steller’s by about 6 years then because that was just up the coast a bit. If you ever get the chance visit Sandwood Bay in NW Scotland. It’s a good hike in but magical when you get there. Cape Wrath lighthouse is another adventure. Waiting for the boatman to ferry us across the Kyle of Durness and when he did turn up he was suffering the ill effects of a night on the tipple. We waded out to his boat and stood on a plastic milk crate to get it. Waiting for us on the other side was a Mercedes Sprinter driven by a mental wannabe rally driver to take us to the lighthouse. I was sure we were going to die. Once you’re at the lighthouse there’s scenic views and that’s it, lots of scenery. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world. Looking at Google Maps I see there’s a cafe there now, luxury.

Happy Memories

Sorry to hijack your thread Rich. 😃

Anyone thinking of heading out to the islands needs to consider booking as soon as possible if you haven’t already done so.

We couldn’t get the 22nd so are heading out on the 23rd instead. You’ll also need a ticket for the dog. Didn’t realise this. Got one for the way out the indoor area was full for the way back. Cal Mac were excellent. There’s no way I’d leave the boy in the car on his own for four hours. A quick phone call from the customer service girl and she got it agreed we could stay on deck. Something I was going to do anyway. 4 hours of sea watching sounds pretty good to me.

After some great advice from Rob in Cardiff we also booked from Mallaig to Lochboisdale. A little longer on the ferry but a much easier drive up from South Wales. And the times coming back are better to meet up with the other family members as well.

Rich

Anyone thinking of heading out to the islands needs to consider booking as soon as possible if you haven’t already done so.

We couldn’t get the 22nd so are heading out on the 23rd instead. You’ll also need a ticket for the dog. Didn’t realise this. Got one for the way out the indoor area was full for the way back. Cal Mac were excellent. There’s no way I’d leave the boy in the car on his own for four hours. A quick phone call from the customer service girl and she got it agreed we could stay on deck. Something I was going to do anyway. 4 hours of sea watching sounds pretty good to me.

After some great advice from Rob in Cardiff we also booked from Mallaig to Lochboisdale. A little longer on the ferry but a much easier drive up from South Wales. And the times coming back are better to meet up with the other family members as well.

Rich
Remember to brush up on your Cetaceans as crossing the Minch can be pretty good. The road to the isles is exceptionally beautiful and I hope the weather is kind for you. Got any room in the car for a fully vaccinated passenger?😀

Remember to brush up on your Cetaceans as crossing the Minch can be pretty good. The road to the isles is exceptionally beautiful and I hope the weather is kind for you. Got any room in the car for a fully vaccinated passenger?😀
Plenty Mike. You’ll have a Vizsla sat on your lap for the entire journey though :LOL:

Very very envious. That crossing (we crossed from Ullapool to Stornoway) is one of the best memories we have from our birding trips. G also cracked the hood on his 500mm bumping it on the railing as it was pretty rough, but he was still grinning when we landed in Stornoway. And the cracked (and patched up with duct tape) hood remained as a souvenir of that memorable trip. Have fun!

Attachments

• IMG_2400.JPG
    IMG_2400.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2401.JPG
    IMG_2401.JPG
    703.8 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back