• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold' Birding Year 2017 (1 Viewer)

ClarkWGriswold

Carpe Carpum
Supporter
Wales
Well it's a New Year so it's time for a new list. Good luck all.

2016 total: 215

Picked Kev up at 6:15 and headed East. We decided we'd go for quality rather than quantity this year. As it turned out, we ended up with neither. :-O

First stop was Parkend. The Rain was consistent and annoying. Could not locate any Hawfinches.

From here it was over to Stow on the Wold. After an hour a half standing in the rain in the freezing cold (ok we did have a bacon sarnie and coffee at the older persons home) we both decided this wasn't our type of birding so we left. Might try again if it sticks around and it's not raining.

Next we went to Saul. Could not find the Cattle Egrets - spot the theme:-O. Now thoroughly wet we decided we couldn't stomach Slimbridge so, having noticed Waxwings being reported from Llandrindod Wells, we decided to head there. Unfortunately no location was given but as Kev had had a few nights out there we were confident we could locate them (desperate birders logicB :)). Could we? Hell no. That was it. Light was running out. A fairly rapid drive to Brecon (I'd forgotten how nervous a passenger Kev iso:D) did not give us enough time to locate the reported Waxwings there. Now enough really was enough. It was time for the last batch of mulled wine of the season.

Still, a bad day's birding is still a good day in my book:t: The following is a (short) list of what we saw:

1. Common Buzzard
2. Blackbird
3. Robin
4. Carrion Crow
5. Nuthatch
6. Magpie
7. Blue Tit
8. Great Tit
9. Wood Pigeon
10. Mandarin (at Cannon Ponds)
11. Mallard
12. Dabchick
13. Cormorant
14. Long Tailed Tit
15. Dunnock
16. Coot
17. Moorhen
18. Lesser Black Backed Gull
19. Wren
20. Mute Swan
21. Jackdaw
22. Collared Dove
23. House Sparrow
24. Pheasant
25. Black- headed Gull
26. Herring Gull
27. Common Gull
28. Rook
29. Starling
30. Stock Dove
31. Fieldfare
32. Pied Wagtail
33. Redwing
34. Song Thrush
35. Canada Goose
36. Chaffinch
37. Pintail
38. Mistle Thrush
39. Goldfinch
40. Greenfinch
41. Great Black- backed Gull
42. Red Kite
43. Bullfinch
44. Dunlin
45. Goosander
46. Feral Pigeon
47. Heron

Rich

Last edited:
Ducked out with children this afternoon as the weather was gorgeous. Packed their bike and scooter in the car and headed for Kidwelly/ Pwll. For information the coffee at the cafe by Pwll slipway is shockingly bad. Added the following common birds:

48. Coal Tit
49. Siskin
50. Rock Pipit
51. Grey Wagtail
52. Little Egret
53. Red Breasted Merganser
54. Reed Bunting
55. Teal
56. Curlew
57. Lapwing
58. Redshank
59. Great Crested Grebe
60. Kingfisher (a beautiful female fishing from the rocks by Pwll Slipway)
61. Oystercatcher

Rich

Last edited:
Had a quick scan during my lunch break today. Added the following:

62. Shelduck
63. Tufted Duck
64. Brent Goose
65. Gadwall
66. Northern Shoveller
67. Long-Tailed Duck (Ffos Las - pleased to get this so early in the year though there appear to be quite a few around at the moment)

Rich

Managed to pick up these on my lunch break today. Both at Dryslwyn Bridge Carmarthenshire.

68. Tree Sparrow
69. Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Worked from home this morning and added the following:

70. Goldcrest
71. Jay
72. Treecreeper - a cracking view:t:

Rich

Went out with Kev to Gloucestershire today. First stop was at Newport Road, Cardiff though. Outside The Range three birders were already there. Nikki came over and said we were in the right place:t:

Sure enough, after 20 or so minutes, 20+ of these superb little beauties came in. A contender already for bird of the year as far as I'm concerned. Well chuffed.

73. Waxwing Lifer #1 B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)B :)

Sorry for the junk photos but it was very early and the light was dreadful;)

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_3642.JPG
    IMG_3642.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3650.JPG
    IMG_3650.JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3652.JPG
    IMG_3652.JPG
    152.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 80
Next we were off to Stow-on-the-Wold so this next one maybe a little controversial. But I say sod it. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. If it's not accepted I'll take it off. Interestingly (maybe?), I could have spent all day watching the Waxwings but left after 15 mins or so with this bird. To be fair though the light conditions were doing it no favours at all. Everyone on site that we saw were really well behaved. Thanks to the birder for the scope views:t: and also had a nice chat with a couple from Swindon. Hope you connected with Waxwings afterwards:t:

74. Blue Rock Thrush Potentially Lifer # 2.o:D

Attachments

• IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 73
From Stow we went to Slimbridge stopping at Hawling and Saul on the way. Couldn't connect with the Cattle Egrets at Saul but did pick up Yellowhammers and Red Legged Partridges at Hawling.

76. Yellowhammer
77. Red Legged Partridge
78. Stonechat
Rich

Last edited:
Slimbridge was more pleasant than expected. Unfortunately I'm not generally keen on the birders here though today it was different. :t:

Added the following to the year list:

79. Greylag Goose
80. Common Crane
81. Chiffchaff (at Frampton)
82. Barnacle Goose
83. Little Stint - pleased to get this so early in the year
84. Pink-footed Goose - never easy in the West
85. Common Snipe
86. Ruff - again, pleased to get this early in the year.
87. Bewicks Swan
88. White-fronted Goose
89. Pochard
90. Eurasian Wigeon

Rich

Last edited:
Picked up some more common - but great to see - common species during my lunch break today.

91. Raven
92. Goldeneye
93. Whooper Swan

Rich

No birding this weekend. Been too busy mucking around with the children in the snow on the Beacons. :-O

Have added the following common species:

94. Common Kestrel.
95. Greenshank

A quiet start to the year. Added the following this week:

96. Skylark
97. Ringed Plover

Heading down the Gower with family after so there maybe a couple more additions today.

Also I got a copy of Out Of The Wild this morning. Looking forward to reading on an upcoming short break to the Cairngorms.

Rich

Had a great day out at Whiteford Point. Can't match Bongofury's birds today but saw birds I thoroughly enjoy watching nonetheless. Plus the children walked c6 miles which is always positive.

98. Black-Tailed Godwit
99. Grey Plover
100. Eider - one of my favourites as the 100th species.
101. Sanderling

And the on the way home we stopped for 30 minutes at Crofty Marsh. Had great views of a female Hen Harrier hunting on the marsh.

102. Hen Harrier

Rich

Didn't get a chance to look for the Bluetail yesterday as I'd set aside the day to look for a new car. Did stop off on the way though at a superb location. Picked Kev up at 6 a.m. and got to Marshfield for first light. Virtually the first bird of the day was a Tawny Owl:t:

Wondered down the lane and despite not seeing the Little Owl (again!) there was plenty of activity. 8-10 Red-Legged Partridges walked across the lane in front of us and promptly disappeared. Winter Thrushes were pretty much everywhere with several Common Buzzards also around.

Got talking to a fella who owned a couple of the cottages on the corner of West Littleton Road and Rushmead Lane. He rents one of them out via cottages4you. I'll keep that in mind as it's a superb location and we're always looking for places to take the children.

Further along Rushmead Lane at the junction with Tormadon Road we found what we were after. A large flock of Corn Buntings and a lifer for Kev.

103. Corn Bunting
104. Meadow Pipit

Last edited:
Next it was off to Oxford to look at a car. Several Red Kites were in Oxfordshire along with a huge number of Scameras - beware.

Not sure if something was going on but we passed an armed response unit, several unmarked police cars and quite a few marked police cars. Anyway, test drive over and deal done. I'm steadily working my way through the VW group having had a Seat, VW and now a Skoda. Next stop Bentley:-O

Rich

The Sat-nav was now programmed for Cotswolds Water Park. For some reason it's an area I really don't like birding in. The parking is dire and access is convoluted. At CWP 44 (I think) there were heaps of Red Crested Pochards. Then back to CWP 30 and straight away we were on to 3 Redheads a cracking male Smew. 2 more lifers for Kev in the space of 20 minutes:t:

105. Red-crested Pochard
106. Smew

From here it was straight back to Wales and a bottle of red:t:B :)

Rich

Having a really slow start to the year. Heaps of Childrens parties and have also spent time looking for a new car.

Got the OH to drop myself and my youngest in Neath today. We then walked along the canal to Tonna for Sunday lunch and, to watch the Welsh game. Been years since I've walked along here but thoroughly enjoyed it. Siskins, Song Thrush, Bullfinch etc. were all seen. Also added:

107. Dipper
108. Marsh Tit

And then flying over my sister's house was a ruddy great female Sprawk.

109. Sparrowhawk

To cap it off Wales beat Italy and Sunday lunch was delicious.

Rich

Had a cracking hour after work at Kidwelly Quay. Extremely still so all you hear were the Curlews, Redshanks and Lapwings. Had good views of Red-breasted Mergansers, Kingfisher, Dunlin, Greenshank and surprisingly, 4 Ruff. Added the following species to the year list:

110. Golden Plover
111. Spotted Redshank

Rich

Just got back from Rhosilli and am about to crack open a can of Brains Black - come on Wales.

The main flock of Scoter was way out so couldn't get a sniff of the Surf Scoter that's been there. Common was a year tick though:t:

112. Common Scoter.

Then, when waiting for the OH, a pair of Chough had the decency to fly over. This really is a consistent site for them.

113. Chough

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back