• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's 2013 List (1 Viewer)

Had a couple of hours at Kenfig Pool today. A quick look in the hide gave what was probably expected - tufties, GCG etc.

Cetis Warbler heard but not seen:-C

Two very well behaved dogs in the hide. The owner was from the area but now living in Sutherland. Quite a coincidence as that's where we're heading in 8 days time.

Wandered down to the river mouth in the hope that the Purple Heron was there - it wasn't or it was out of sight. Had a distant view of a falcon harrying Skylarks. On shape, to me, it looked like a Kestrel. Plenty of Linnets, Goldies, Whimbrel (4), Warblers, female Bullfinch, mippits etc. around. Added the following to the list:

120. Sedge Warbler
121. Reed Warbler
122. Swift
123. Common Sandpiper
124. Garden Warbler

Rich

Just had a couple of nights in Sutherland and added the following:

125. Common Gull
126. Hooded Crow
127. Red Throated Diver
128. Sandwich Tern
129. Gannet
130. Stock Dove (I think)
131. Guillemot
132. Razorbill
133. Cuckoo
134. Red Grouse
135. Slavonian Grebe
136. Red Legged Partridge
137. Black Guillemot
138. Bonxie

Also saw Red Deer, Roe Deer, Rabbits, Brown Hare and possible Mountain Hare.

Rich

I've added a short trip report with more details -recommendations on where to stay and eat etc.

Last edited:
Had a good hour at Dinas today. Along with the usual suspects had

139: Wood Warbler

Rich

Mike confirmed it was a Mountain Hare

Had an " interesting" morning at Cwm Cadlas. It's the first time I've been for a walk here. It's a cracking place to visit but I wish the footpath was more clearly marked. I went up to the top but I'm pretty sure I followed the wrong track.

The place was full of bird song, the dominant being Willow Warbler. Quite a few swifts were present at the top of the hill along with plenty of Skylarks, Swallows, Mippits and Stonechat. Further down were Reed Buntings and various finches. I could also hear a Cuckoo in the distance.

Added the following not far from the wooden bridge:

140. Tree Pipit

Rich

Had a possible Dartford Warbler today but heat haze made me uncomfortable with a 100% comifirmation. I'll try again soon.

Other than that my children enjoyed watching a couple of Grey Seals and I enjoyed watching some Whitethroats, Rock Doves and Stonechats.

Rich

Had a very nice couple of hours around Newport Wetlands Centre this morning with my youngest. Plenty of Sedge and Reed Warblers around along with plenty of Reed Buntings. On chatting to the gent who traps the mink I was a little dissappointed to hear the Little Owls were not around.

When arriving where I'd seen them before however I was sure I could see one. The more I stared, the more I became convinced. I then looked longer and became less convinced. As an experiment I took a photo with my SX50 to have a look at on the computer at home and perhaps play with the picture a little. Here are the results:

Attachments

• IMG_0174.JPG
    IMG_0174.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    378.4 KB · Views: 179
So:

141. Little Owl

Quickly followed by:

142. Grasshopper Warbler

I could hear heaps of Cettis but could not latch onto a single one:-C. A Cuckoo was also heard.

Attached are a couple more pics I took this morning. A handsome male Tuftie and a Reed Warbler outside the entrance to the main building.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 51
Had a great day with the family at the Welsh Wildlife Centre in Cardigan today. The place was crawling with Warblers.

Cettis heard but again not seen. The bloody thing sounded as if it was sitting on top of the hide at one point!:-C

Goldcrest, finches, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Common Buzzards etc. etc. This is a very decent little reserve for anyone thinking of visiting.

143. Spotted Flycatcher

Then decided to head to Mwnt to check for Chough etc. On arrival the place was chocca with families on the beach. What to do? What else? Blanket out, eyes closed and out like a light - perfect. :king:

Below is one of the Warblers flitting around everywhere but not staying still long enough for a decent shot.

Rich

Attachments

• IMG_0224.JPG
    IMG_0224.JPG
    254.7 KB · Views: 48
Had a quiet couple of hours wandering around Penclacwydd with a birder from Southend - good to meet you Neil and I hope you connect with the other birds on your list:t:

Cettis heard again but not seen - I see a pattern developing. Couldn't find the Garganey that was seen yesterday. Not sure if the rain was keeping things quiet with regard to Warblers. Thankfully my Trinovids didn't leak;)

Caught up with #144 finally from The British Steel Hide.

144. Spoonbill

I can also recommend the coffee and walnut cake in the cafe there:eat:

Rich

147. White Tailed Sea Eagle at Shieldaig.

More details at a trip report I'm in the middle of completing here:

www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=259913

This is the second viewing I've had of WTSE at Sheildaig and both times from the car park by the public toilets. Also had Black Guillemots and Shag there today.

There's also a very decent smokerey in the village now as well.

Rich

Last edited:
Had a cracking day at Penclacwydd today and met some very decent birders from the Carmarthenshire Bird Club who helped me latch onto:

150. Ruff Lifer number 9B :)B :)B :)

Also adult Med Gull from British Steel Hide.

Rich

The weather was a little different today down in Rhossili. A gorgeous sunny day. I could hear species # 151 before I could see them.

151. Chough

Attachments

• IMG_1210.JPG
    IMG_1210.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1223.JPG
    IMG_1223.JPG
    465.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1244.JPG
    IMG_1244.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 39
Thought I'd mention there were quite a few VERY well behaved dogs on our walk today along with some very responsible owners:t:

Rich

Had a couple of hours without the children at Penclacwydd this morning. Below are some pictures taken - apologies for the quality (Left to Right, Lesser Yellowlegs, Med Gull, Lapwing, Greenshank and Heron). Managed to add species #152 which was also a lifer for me. Thanks for the assistance to those in the British Steel Hide.:t:

152. Lesser Yellowlegs Lifer Number 10:king:B :)B :)B :):bounce::bounce:

Attachments

• IMG_1447.JPG
    IMG_1447.JPG
    349 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1470.JPG
    IMG_1470.JPG
    465.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 28
No new birds today but added a new mammal for the year. Can't remember the last time I saw a live Mole above the surface:t: I did have a possible Cettis but I did not get enough on it to confirm and did not hear it sing:-C

Also had a play around with the SX50.

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1515.jpg
    IMG_1515.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 24
Wasn't expecting this at all this afternoon. Was in an area I know is great for birdlife. Whilst driving along I caught a glimpse of a "Buzzard" being mobbed by a Carrion Crow. It then headed from where it was straight across the road in front of us. White at the base of the tail, longer straight tail and definitely not a buzzard. Given the problems this bird is having at the moment I won't give the exact location.

153. Hen Harrier (Carmarthenshire)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back