• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Birding Year 2016 (1 Viewer)

Pleasant morning with members of the Carms Bird Club at Penclacwydd today. 30-40 Med Gulls present along with a handful of Knot and a single Dunlin. Amongst the few hundred strong flock of Blackwits I managed to pick out a single Barwit:t:

192 Bar Tailed Godwit

Decent morning with the children at Rhosilli today. A few showers but not too bad. The resident Kestrels and Ravens were present along with the Jackdaws. At least 2 Chough were also seen and quite far out a few Manxies were going past. There was also something flying suspiciously like a Petrel but as it was so distant (and I didn't have my scope) it will remain unidentified.

193. Chough
194. Manx Shearwaters

Attachments

• IMG_2472.JPG
    IMG_2472.JPG
    601.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2486.JPG
    IMG_2486.JPG
    622.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2495.JPG
    IMG_2495.JPG
    727 KB · Views: 49
Headed up to Carms with Kev first thing this morning. Appeared to be fewer birds around but managed a cracking view of a Tree Pipit at Dinas along with Red Kites, the odd Pied Flycatcher, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and a Common Sandpiper. Also added (at last!) Marsh Tit to the year list.

195. Marsh Tit

Down at Dinefwr we had cracking views of Common Redstarts and Swifts over the pond. Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers were seen/ heard but not the hoped for Lesser. A Wood Warbler was also heard in Castle Woods along with heaps of Blackcaps.

Just finished the day off with a lovely meal at Prices Arms in Coelbren. I have a fairly large appetite but even I came away totally full. I'd recommend it if you're in the area:t:

Rich

Had a cracking days birding at Ham Wall and Shapwick Heath with OH. Great views of Marsh Harriers and Bitterns along with a Great White Egret. Checked out Noah's Lake as advised on the Somerset thread - cheers gents:t: - a Hobby was soon found over the far tree line.

196. Hobby

Just settling down now with some Somerset Cider. Cheers allB :)

Rich

Had a great morning out with a couple of mates in Somerset today. Kev's home cured bacon rolls were superb as always:eat: The pork and piccalilli pies that I bought from Cwmcerrig yesterday were also delicious.

Left Neath at just gone 4 and were at VP2, Ham Wall at just gone 6:30. After a couple of hours we'd had good views of Bittern, GWE's, LRP, Green Sandpiper and a Marsh Harrier. No Little Bittern though. As mentioned on the Somerset thread, we were put in the right direction by a group of birders led by a family I recognised from the Twitchers programme a few years back. Big thanks all:t:

200-300 metres further East and after 20 mins or so we were treated to fantastic views of a Little Bittern. Absolutely landed:t: A lifer for all of us. 3 Hobbys were also hawking above us.

Had the the opportunity to have a go of my mates Swarovski el 10x42's whilst on the reserve. They are fantastic bins. The great, bright view did not surprise me. The balance and low weight did. I can see why people rave about these now.

Later good views were had of c5 Marsh Harriers and a couple of Red Kites from the Avalon hide.

A very good mornings birding8-P Hopefully 200 species will be on the cards again this year.

197. Green Sandpiper
198. Little Bittern Lifer#6 B :)B :)B :):D:D:D

Rich

Had a decent morning at Goldcliff on Saturday. Couldn't locate the Wood Sandpiper that had been seen the day before but good to see Avocets, Ringed Plovers, Greenshanks, Turnstones and heaps of Yellow Wagtails. A couple saw two Little Stints but I wasn't sure I had the right birds at the distance they were:-C

Went with the children down to Penclacwydd this morning. Great to see a Spoonbill at the front of the British Steel Hide and a Glossy Ibis at the back. Also present were a good sized flock of Blackwits, Lapwings, Redshanks, Curlew, Little Egrets, Ruff, Knot, single Snipe and, as far as I could see, a single Dunlin. Managed to get a distant shot of the Glossy Ibis and a quick grab of the Snipe:t:

199. Ruff (at last!!)

Just come back from a celebratory curry at Gurkha Corner in Brecon. I can thoroughly recommend the pork mo mo's and chilli chicken(hot). A delicious meal.

Stopped at a clearfell on the way home that I thought looked promising during the day. Sure enough, after 10 mins or so we saw a fantastic Nightjar:t: It then proceeded to chur away in the trees to our right. I'd love to say I spotted it but that honour goes to my 5 year old. Well done boy:t::t: A lifer for myself and my 2 boys. And a very nice way to bring up the 200.

200. Nightjar Lifer#7 B :)B :)B :)B :)

The front runner for bird of the year.

Rich

Last edited:
Had a decent couple of hours at Goldcliff this morning. Good to catch up with Bryan as I was leaving and also good to be able to put a face to the name of fellow BFer John o Sullivan. Good to meet you John:t:

Couldn't locate the Wood Sandpiper despite our best efforts. Typically it turned up later on:-C. A good supporting cast though including Little Stint (which takes me past last year's total:t:), Curlew Sandpipers, Spotshanks, Greenshanks, Knot, Snipe etc.

201. Little Stint

Attachments

• IMG_2744.JPG
    IMG_2744.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2782.JPG
    IMG_2782.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Should have gone home from here but decided to take a look at the Black Tern at Slimbridge as it's not too far from Goldcliff. Heading North on the M5 the Southbound carriageway was effectively a parking lot.:eek!:

As a result I decided to cut across country after leaving Slimbridge which effectively took me twice as long to get home as usual:C To top it off, the Black Tern that had been on South Lake was a no show. Did manage decent views of Green Sandpiper though which is always nice along with 5 Common Cranes, 5 more Ruff and a Kingfisher.

Rich

No new birds today but nice to have an e-mail to say that the Ring-Necked Duck that Kev and I found on Loch Meodal, Skye, has been accepted by the Highlands Rarities Committee :t:

Rich

Went straight to Dunraven Bay yesterday after work following a cracking find by Paul Roberts from Bridgend. After 15 mins or so looking a couple of birders from Pencoed managed to get on to the bird. A cracking, and quite showy, WryneckB :)B :)

202. Wryneck Lifer #7 B :)B :)B :):D:D

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    362.1 KB · Views: 29
Decided against going up to Goldcliff today for the Pectoral Sandpiper. The weather was great so decided to go for a c 6.5 mile walk around Usk Reservoir. Good views were had of Bullfinch, Kestrels, Kites and Buzzards. A little unexpected was a year tick in the form of a Grasshopper Warbler:eek!: Must admit I'd have missed this if it wasn't for Kev:t:

203. Grasshopper Warbler

Had an unexpected, and very welcome tick at Penclacwydd today. Wendell and others had tweeted there was a Turtle Dove by the Smew pen. Having wandered over, three doves came out of the trees and all silhouetted. Another birder said it was the Turtle Dove but there was no way I was going to tick that view:eek!: Feeling like it was another tick that had got away we left. On reaching the car though I decided to check the car park as it had been seen there as well. Sure enough, there was the little beauty. Not easy to get at all in Wales now unfortunately.

204. Turtle Dove Lifer #8:t:B :)B :)B :)B :)

Attachments

• IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    632.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2993.JPG
    IMG_2993.JPG
    654 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    555 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Nipped down to Port Toilet with Kev this morning. A birder whom we've met a couple of times recently was in the car park of the church on Western Avenue, Sandfields. 10 minutes later and #205 was in the bag:t:

205. Rose Coloured Starling Lifer #9 B :)B :)

Attachments

• IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Managed to add the following yesterday:

206. Woodcock
207. Lapland Bunting Lifer #10 B :)

Will add further details when I get back from Yorkshire.

Added the following today:

210. Little Gull
211. Pallas's Warbler Lifer #12 B :)

Only a brief view of the Pallas's as it was very mobile with a flock of Goldcrest.

Rich

212. Jack Snipe Lifer #13 B :)

Finally:eek!: At Thornwick Pool this evening. 3 in total. Also had a Barn Owl fly over my head carrying a prey item whilst walking back to the car:t:

A very late Swallow was also over the pool.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back