• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griswold's Vacations 2019 (1 Viewer)

Walked around the headland from Croig yesterday morning. Lovely walk but not too much in the way of birds. Wheatear being about the best. Also a couple of Common Seals on the way back.

I think Fridays drive then caught up with me and the pup as we crashed out on the sofa for 2 hours in the afternoon. 8-P

My daughter ( at 4 y o ) started to take pics of me with my mobile phone when I had nodded off. She would send them to random people in my phone book. Normally not very flattering ones of me dribbling of something. I'd find them in my 'messages' days/weeks later |:$|

Here was the main reason for going pescatarian for the week. Delicious, Scottish seafood. I’d thoroughly recommend a visit here if you’re in the area. I settled for a half dozen oysters to start followed by the platter. :t:

I am drooling just looking at the pic. One of the best things about the area, apart from the fantastic birding of course, is the stunning fresh seafood.

I have to agree that the fish and chip cabin on the harbour at Oban is a great place to visit while waiting to board the ferry.

My daughter ( at 4 y o ) started to take pics of me with my mobile phone when I had nodded off. She would send them to random people in my phone book. Normally not very flattering ones of me dribbling of something. I'd find them in my 'messages' days/weeks later |:$|
:-O:-O

I am drooling just looking at the pic. One of the best things about the area, apart from the fantastic birding of course, is the stunning fresh seafood.

I have to agree that the fish and chip cabin on the harbour at Oban is a great place to visit while waiting to board the ferry.
I with you on that Paul. Scottish seafood is the best.

Rich

So yesterday my oldest was complaining about not having enough seafood. So his mum and grandmother took him, and his brother into Tobermory. The old man and I ducked out with Bud. I should also say that whilst everyone else were sleeping, Bud and I went out for a couple of miles walk just to stretch his legs. Had fantastic views of a family ofSpotted Flycatchers by the Old Byre in Dervaig.

Off we set and pulled in at Salen to scan the sea. Absolutely nothing except a few Shags. This was to be the theme throughout the day. With the exception of a few Red-Breasted Mergansers (all females), we saw virtually nothing on the sea/sea lochs. Are they all skulking somewhere moulting after breeding?

The next decent birds were down to some superb fieldcraft... ok we got lucky. :smoke: Turned down the wrong road and stumbled upon a family of 3 Golden Eagles. Fantastic views of the king of birds. A Greenshank was also on the Loch.

Next it was off to Lochbuie. Decent views of Ravens and a Merganser but little else. Loch Scridian and Loch Na Keal we’re similarly quiet. Had fantastic views of a flyover White-Tailed Eagle along the road by Loch Na Keal though. The weather really turned for the worse now so we decided to call it a day.

Epic seafood platter! - still trying to get my head around that you needed oysters first.

I've also been snapped crashed out on the sofa with the dog. None of the pix is flattering!

Epic seafood platter! - still trying to get my head around that you needed oysters first.

I've also been snapped crashed out on the sofa with the dog. None of the pix is flattering!

Been following a vegetarian diet for 6 weeks Mike but decided to have a week off and include fish/shellfish. Hence the slight OD:eat:

Rich

Here was the main reason for going pescatarian for the week. Delicious, Scottish seafood. I’d thoroughly recommend a visit here if you’re in the area. I settled for a half dozen oysters to start followed by the platter. :t:

Hope you didn't eat all that to yourself ?
That would be purely shellfish |;|

(I'll get my coat)

So yesterday we caught the 1st ferry over to Ardnamurchan at 07:30. Return cost c£60 for 4 adults, 2 children, 2 cars and a small horse:smoke:. CalMac has always run an excellent service whenever I’ve used them and they’ve been great value too. Got chatting to a Spanish fella whilst waiting for the ferry. Decent fella living temporarily in Edinburgh. Said he was heading toward Eilean Donnan Castle so despite his name being Jose I mentally renamed him Ramirez (my turn to get my coat Mr N:eek!: And before anyone says I’m pretty sure that I remember Ramirez was actually Portuguese)

Hardly any birds on either leg of the ferry trip. The odd Gannet, Guillemot, Razorbill and Manxie was all I could locate. The old man on the other hand did manage an Arctic Skua which I missed as I was downstairs with Bud who was a little nervous on the ferry.

At Kilchoan we had a few Twite and Linnets before heading to Strontian.

Stopping off at Garbh Eilean hide again there was virtually nothing on the water. Plenty of Common Seals on the island and in the Loch itself. 3 birders then turned up whom Bud took a dislike to. No idea why but possibly because they came upon us suddenly, or possibly because they were carrying tripods etc. After apologising he calmed and they were great. Hope you all have a good week gents.

At Strontian we stopped at the little Cafe I’d been to before next to the shop. Delicious coffee and veggie breakfast, and great value too. The old man gave the thumbs up for his bacon and haggis roll. Whilst the boys went to the park, myself, my father and Bud walked up alongside the river. Upstream of the second bridge was a group of Mallard. I did pick out one which had potential but we were peering through extremely thick vegetation and the birds were in eclipse plumage. I’ve heard there are now a few hybrids around as well. The birds were spooked and unfortunately, Black Duck has to remain off my life list... for now:-C

From here we headed back to Sanna. Both the boys had a great time in the sea there. Can’t think of a nicer beach that I’ve been to anywhere. The old man spotted a Twite and as we were leaving he also spotted a solitary Red-throated Diver. The only diver of any species we’ve seen all trip!

From here we caught the ferry back and drove back to the cottage. Several Common Buzzards lined the telegraph poles on the way. A glass of wine finished off the day nicely. B :)

Have you managed to rearrange your trip with Sea Life Surveys? Not sure if you've got time, but trip out on Lady Jayne (Mull Charters) is to be recommended too.

Have you managed to rearrange your trip with Sea Life Surveys? Not sure if you've got time, but trip out on Lady Jayne (Mull Charters) is to be recommended too.

Hi Rich. They couldn’t do another 4 hour trip and unfortunately my parents didn’t fancy the 7 hour trip. It’ll have to wait for another time:-C. The weather has not been great tbh. We had a decent morning today but it lashed down all afternoon. Dry now though so we’ve just walked up to the Bellachroy Inn - the oldest pub on Mull apparently. Not a great choice of beer but it’s dog friendly :t:

Rich

. I’ve heard there are now a few hybrids around as well. The birds were spooked and unfortunately, Black Duck has to remain off my life list... for now:-C

:)

Ha! you and me both Rich. I have had five attempts over three trips in the last four years to try and nail this particular quacker but all to no avail. The first time I went for it, it had been reported almost daily sitting in a front garden near the post office for the previous week or so too.

Nearest I got was one its many offspring in a group of Mallards up by the main road bridge at the top of the Loch.

At this rate, as it is unlikely that I will get the chance to get up that way again any time soon, I will have to wait until one turns up at Rutland Water.:-C

Ha! you and me both Rich. I have had five attempts over three trips in the last four years to try and nail this particular quacker but all to no avail. The first time I went for it, it had been reported almost daily sitting in a front garden near the post office for the previous week or so too.

Nearest I got was one its many offspring in a group of Mallards up by the main road bridge at the top of the Loch.

At this rate, as it is unlikely that I will get the chance to get up that way again any time soon, I will have to wait until one turns up at Rutland Water.:-C
My second time to dip as well Paul. Similar to yourself I’m not likely to be in the area for at least 2 years. At least you’ll have more chance at Rutland than I will at Kenfig:-C

Rich

So the last couple of days we’ve been doing some family things. As such there’s not much to feedback other than having great views of the Otter again at Croig. Seems to work the area on the incoming tide. Also picked up a Grey Wagtail here as well. Unfortunately I didn’t have any cash on me but the fishermen were selling their lobsters at £15 a pop at Croig. Great value.

Today we went into Tobermory and came back via Glengorm. Heaps of Ravens near the rubbish tip and the third Hen Harrier of the trip near Glengorm itself. Heading home tomorrow so that’s probably it for this trip. Will put up a link to the cottage when I get home.

Rich

Left the cottage at 06:00 yesterday morning and got home at 20:30:eek!:. Never travelling home on the Friday before the bank holiday again. Traffic in England was murder.

Thought I had a Bonxie from the Ferry but could not pick out any wing flashes. Will have to go down as a maybe.

We also saw one of these not so wee beasties in the Green Welly car park. Initially it landed on the old girl:eek!: before flying down to the floor. Thanks to John and Tate on Twitter I now know it’s a Uroceras Gigas- Giant Wood Wasp. An impressive insect.

Attachments

• E41753D0-C581-47F2-84C0-A83C9B0E658F.jpeg
    E41753D0-C581-47F2-84C0-A83C9B0E658F.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 57
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back