• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Grizzley shot (1 Viewer)

Ratal

Everyone in Montana knows Ovando mountain and Park are jammed filled with bears - and that bears demand extra precautions being taken.

So sad to see her meet her death this way, utterly tragic - but the number one lesson she forgot was to respect the dangers that the wildlife pose. Those mountains are dangerous places and you should move through them with that in mind at all times

YuShan

hikingbirdman.com
United Kingdom
"Ms Lokan and her two companions, who were staying in a separate tent, then removed food from their tents and secured them before going back to sleep. But the bear returned shortly afterwards, leading to the fatal attack."

Keeping food in your tent in grizzly country is a definite no-no.
R.I.P. both this lady and the bear.

rpg51

When traveling in grizzly country my companions and I use tents that have never seen food, not even tooth paste. We stop to cook and eat, and then we move down stream to a different area to camp. But, I have to say, it is also true that every now and then an experienced group taking all the right precautions gets attacked. It is a very real, albeit small, risk. When we drive from one city to another we take similar risks. A life without risk is not a life that I aspire to. The question is the extent of the risk. Grizzly bears are a fairly high risk endeavor. The thing is that many people do not realize just how real the risk is. It is very sad to hear that people have been hurt when traveling in the wilderness. To some extent when you are in an area where there are habituated bears, just being in a tent may be risky. Bears start to associate tents with food.

Users who are viewing this thread