• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ground bird feeder (1 Viewer)

MobiusX

Can someone recommend some good ground bird feeder? I recently bought one made from ploy wood which is a plastic material but noticed a lot of peeling and splinters of this material all over the feeder including the tray which is dangerous for birds to eat from since they can end up eating that material. I don't even know why they are using this material to make ground bird feeders. Just right after I bought it I told the seller to make there are no scratches, no peeling, no damaged or defective parts. I spent 40 minutes using a tweezer just to try to remove the peeling from the tray and a lot left including all over the bird feeder so why are they even selling this product if they know it's not safe in the first place? Is it safe?

How about 'the ground' ?

I bought a 'ground feeder' once -- waste of time -- kept the food off the ground but it still got wet, eaten by rats and then fell apart ...... The farmland projects near by just put a load on the ground and birds seem super happy.....

How about 'the ground' ?

I bought a 'ground feeder' once -- waste of time -- kept the food off the ground but it still got wet, eaten by rats and then fell apart ...... The farmland projects near by just put a load on the ground and birds seem super happy.....

I already leave the food on a tray under a porch but have to keep it on a certain spot and it wont get wet. It will only get wet if its heavy rain. But then I have to sweep all of the bird seeds and the wind will blow it then I have to spray water on cement after sweeping to get rid of all the seeds. At least with a bird ground feeder it will keep less seeds from going on the ground. Now I am looking at a ground platform feeder. It doesn't have a roof and it's actually a little bigger than the tray I have and the depth is higher. I just need ro make sure the material isn't going to be peeled.

I bought a cedar wood platform ground feeder. I bought this from amazon and another from another site but that one has legs. They come with 2 screens on both sides. Not shown on the picture but it comes with a plastic cap in the middle of that hole. Amazon doesn't come with it but other site it does and they even sent me an extra one for the one from Amazon even though they aren't the manufacturer. The manufacturer says they no longer come with a cap for the last year and they don't send any anymore. The screens can slide up and down half an inch. They say it's to take it off easier. The one without legs cannot be blown away from wind. I plan to use it under porch on cement. The legs it's better to use on grass. They come in different sizes. I got the 16 x 20 for both. I wanted the 22 x 22 but cannot find a storage container that big. I only use clear Sterilite since it's been confirmed by them to be non-toxic. I even washed it just to be sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back