• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

grouse?? (1 Viewer)

MontanaOspreyCam

Registered Member
I just took these pictures in my back yard (8/13/11 around noon) near Missoula Montana (in the Rockies). I first thought it was a Ruffed Grouse when the dogs started barking at her (don't worry, they are fenced in)....but after looking closer at it I am not so sure anymore.

These pictures are the same bird. One with her hiding in the grass and one of her running up the hill side after I startled her. Any ideas?? Is it a Dusky Grouse??

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• P8130526.JPG
    P8130526.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 90
  • P8130528.JPG
    P8130528.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 95
I shall be very interested in the opinions of others. I spent some time in the Bitterroot Valley south of Missoula in May, searching for various grassland birds, and all I came up with were pictures of what I think are female Ring-necked Pheasants. Your bird has a remarkable semblance to my photos. But I have no expertise in these birds, so my opinion doesn't count.
Charles

I shall be very interested in the opinions of others. I spent some time in the Bitterroot Valley south of Missoula in May, searching for various grassland birds, and all I came up with were pictures of what I think are female Ring-necked Pheasants. Your bird has a remarkable semblance to my photos. But I have no expertise in these birds, so my opinion doesn't count.
Charles

I'm not so aware of the American species, so I can't ID your bird, but it's absolutly a grouse, and no Ring-necked Pheasant...

/Rasmus

hmmmm.....I wasn't really thinking pheasant....more like a grouse to me.

What about a Spruce grouse?? The reasons I don't think it is a Ruffed Grouse (although they are common in my area) is that it looked larger in body, the crest looked small and was barely showing and the neck seemed to extend fairly far......not sure though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back