• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

GS 665 or non-ed HR66? (1 Viewer)

dunder

Hi,
I've been looking at the GS665, but have found somewhere I can get a secondhand, non-ed HR66 plus an old version (Rubber eyecup) HDF eyepiece for about the same price. Which shoud I go for?

Many thanks,

Dunder

I think it would be very close between the two, assuming the SH HR66 GA is in mint condition optically. Although I would probably be swayed more towards the GS665 GA due to it's lighter body and dual focusing.

Rob

Last edited:
I personally find the dual focusing really useful, but I do appreciate that some people can find it a bit annoying, it takes a bit of getting used to if you have not used it before.

The best thing would be to try it for yourself and see how you get on with it.

Last edited:
Hi Dunder,

I used to own a GS665 and really liked the dual focuser. I have narrow finger tips though so I never hada probelm with it even with gloves on.
Mind you, I now own an ES80 and really get on with the single focuser of that.

Best wishes,
Martin.

Rob, Martin,
Thank you both for your comments - in the end I managed to find an ED version of the HR66 going for not very much more money, so decided to go with that instead,

thanks again,

Dunder

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back