• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guess the bird- (2 Viewers)

Hello again,

and there is a Coot or a Red-knobbed Coot in the lower right corner. I hope for others with experience of both species to comment. Thanks!

Hello,

there are at least two Teals (a male with the right rear-end pattern and a female). Or is the "male" a pitfall reflection/artefact? After a closer look I am not sure anymore.
The preening bird is either another Teal or a Garganey. A paler, smoother, brighter jizz is a good search pattern for this species among Teals and this might be the case here. But it can be well be another Teal (paler, brighter individuals are regular)

(Adult female Garganeys often have clearly paler flanks, apperantly seems to be faded/bleached against darker upperparts, breast and head.)

And there is a male Gadwall hiding under branches. If you know this, then you see the unique pattern and colours.

Hello,

there are at least two Teals (a male with the right rear-end pattern and a female). Or is the "male" a pitfall reflection/artefact? After a closer look I am not sure anymore.
The preening bird is either another Teal or a Garganey. A paler, smoother, brighter jizz is a good search pattern for this species among Teals and this might be the case here. But it can be well be another Teal (paler, brighter individulas are regular)

(Adult female Garganeys often have clearly paler flanks, apperantly seems to be faded/bleached against darker upperparts, breast and head.)

And there is a male Gadwall hiding under branches. If you know this, then you see the unique pattern and colours.
This one's hard so I'm going to give a slight tip- its a probable escape that turned up in Lincoln a few months back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back