• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

gull and raptor, Dubai (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

I was in Dubai last week. Please help me ID (preferably with an explanation) these two gulls and this raptor I photographed. I'm guessing that they are Caspian Gulls and a Black-eared Kite? I don't know.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN8044.JPG
    DSCN8044.JPG
    695.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN8048.JPG
    DSCN8048.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 60
  • DSCN8056.JPG
    DSCN8056.JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN8067.JPG
    DSCN8067.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN8069.JPG
    DSCN8069.JPG
    183.1 KB · Views: 64

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Especially the fourth image gives an impression of a huge bill for a black kite.

Niels

Joseph Bouvier

"No, that was a pigeon, not an eagle".
Spain
Yes, those gulls are juvenile caspian gulls (quite rare for that location). You can see the pale pink legs, greyish area surrounding the eye, overall brown colouring, completely black tail, and slightly pink-ish bill with a black tip.

Congrats!

lou salomon

the birdonist
i see no reason why these first winter gulls wouldn't be steppe gulls (Larus fuscus barabensis). they aren't reliably separable from caspian gull but by far more likely and numerous in the gulf region. for instance, bill in the left hand bird is far from ideal for caspian gull. still, these are worn plumages which can virtually be identic in cachinnans and barabensis.

Users who are viewing this thread