• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Gull Chicks have disappeared! (1 Viewer)

ChaosReigns

Hi all!

We had a gull nest at work, on the ground, since May. We have a clear view of the nest and have enjoyed seeing them hatch and grow. We've had two chicks since mid/end June. They've grown quickly and have been exploring our, thanks to lockdown, quiet carpark. Parents have, as you expect, been on the defensive and very protective. Anyway... we returned this week after a number of days off and our chicks were nowhere to be found. I don't think they were ready to fly, they weren't fully feathered. I thought it a bit strange, but maybe mum and dad had taken them somewhere else or that maybe another animal had got them. We didn't see chicks or parents on Wednesday but then on Thursday one of the parents arrived at the nest with food. You could see she/he was looking for them, they walked around for a minute calling and then took off.

I thought that was a bit strange. We assumed that they'd all gone off (or another animal got them) but obviously one of the parents was clearly expecting them to be there. There were no birds around for at least one day so why would a parent suddenly appear with food?

Users who are viewing this thread