• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Gull Help - California (1 Viewer)

HeadWest

This was taken today in Southern California. I think it's a Mew Gull based on the very small bill (which appeared very small in the field). That would be unusual this time of year though. Eyes were dark, legs were a colorless gray, perhaps every so slightly pinkish.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2592.jpg
    IMG_2592.jpg
    404.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2571.jpg
    IMG_2571.jpg
    701.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

rkj

With a bill that small I can't think what else it might be. There are a few summer records for California.

HeadWest

Thanks. The other option would be ring-billed gull, which would be much more expected. The really small bill had me thinking otherwise, and I didn't see any bill markings that resemble what you see on ring-billed gulls, with the bill tending more towards showing no markings at all.

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread