• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Herts, UK (1 Viewer)

a_j_steele

This gull has being bugging me for a little while, thoughts would be welcome

Attachments

• earlyaug00050.JPG
    earlyaug00050.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
Its one of those thread I normally learn, but the right Gull doesnt have a Great-black-backed Gull-jizz to me:
-wing projection is to long
- what seems to be an extensive all dark tail is not good for GBBG (I get the impression, that this can be judged with confidence?)
-I would expect an immature (1 or 2 cy ) GBBG to show more extensive white frings(barring to wing coverts. So my question is: can an immature GBBG have so heavily worn wing-coverts that this area appears so uniform "washed out dark" like this bird here? Answer is most probably yes.
Conclusion? Real Gull experts, please help. I think, right bird is a Herring Gull, with the caveat, that I am no Gull expert

Its one of those thread I normally learn, but the right Gull doesnt have a Great-black-backed Gull-jizz to me:
-wing projection is to long
- what seems to be an extensive all dark tail is not good for GBBG (I get the impression, that this can be judged with confidence?)
-I would expect an immature (1 or 2 cy ) GBBG to show more extensive white frings(barring to wing coverts. So my question is: can an immature GBBG have so heavily worn wing-coverts that this area appears so uniform "washed out dark" like this bird here? Answer is most probably yes.
Conclusion? Real Gull experts, please help. I think, right bird is a Herring Gull, with the caveat, that I am no Gull expert
Also, the right bird has a grey head like Herring, not nearly white like the GBB

And looking at the left Gull, this also doesnt jump to me as an straightforward GBBG. Reason? I am not sure, maybe its time for me to learn.
Mantle is dark-lead grey, sure within variation for GBBG, but better for a Lesser-black-backed Gull. And the bill doesnt seem monster to me with the typical head shape for GBBG with a flat head that joins the bill without an obious step in the forehead.
Conclusion? I am really unsure with the left Gull, because it gives a strange feeling to me: it might be a GBBG or not. So I would like to learn here: please help!

And looking at the left Gull, this also doesnt jump to me as an straightforward GBBG. Reason? I am not sure, maybe its time for me to learn.
Mantle is dark-lead grey, sure within variation for GBBG, but better for a Lesser-black-backed Gull. And the bill doesnt seem monster to me with the typical head shape for GBBG with a flat head that joins the bill without an obious step in the forehead.
Conclusion? I am really unsure with the left Gull, because it gives a strange feeling to me: it might be a GBBG or not. So I would like to learn here: please help!
LBB wouldn't have such a white head, nor the white fringes on the mantle & coverts? Here's one (with its parent for proof of identity!).

Attachments

• IMG_8975a.jpg
    IMG_8975a.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
omg. the left hand bird is a 2cy in heavy moult (so, photo taken probably in august-september) - very bad for IDing large gulls. the right hand one looks like a 1cy herring gull to me and looks to have replaced quite some scaps already. as for the left bird - it could virtually be any large gull and as such i'd leave it: unidentified.

Thank you Lou and Nutcracker, I just wanted to write that the grey mantle of the left has a different shade on another screen. But if you cant ID it, it is far above my experience!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back