• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull Id Kos, Greece (1 Viewer)

snapp3r

Hi took this in Kos, Greece, I know most are Yellow-Legged Gulls but a couple not sure about, center front gull black beak? and juvenile further in slightly right ?
can anyone help ??B :)

Attachments

• © Lauren Tucker Photography (200 of 255).jpg
    © Lauren Tucker Photography (200 of 255).jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 95
Gulls really aren’t my thing but (since no one else has offered an opinion!) FWIW, it looks fine for a 2cy Yellow-legged Gull to me - (advanced moult on scapulars/mantle with active moult on tertials/rangy long-legged look - quite a brutish individual with almost GBBG proportions so perhaps a male. The juvenile also looks like a YLG. (1cy) (Legs can be quite greyish/flesh coloured so perhaps its just the shade/lack of backlighting)

Gulls really aren’t my thing but (since no one else has offered an opinion!) FWIW, it looks fine for a 2cy Yellow-legged Gull to me - (advanced moult on scapulars/mantle with active moult on tertials/rangy long-legged look - quite a brutish individual with almost GBBG proportions so perhaps a male. The juvenile also looks like a YLG. (1cy) (Legs can be quite greyish/flesh coloured so perhaps its just the shade/lack of backlighting)

Thanks for your views, very helpful. I'll leave it at Yellow-legged gull, thanks

Thanks for your views, very helpful. I'll leave it at Yellow-legged gull, thanks

no worries - you could always move your post to the ID forum where hopefully you can get a confirmation of it’s ID from Lou ( or someone just with more experience than me in large gulls!). I’m surprised no one else has commented tbh

from what i can discern, all are YLG. maybe there are some caspians in there but would need better resolution pics.
an all black bill is actually a good pointer towards YLG in a 1st summer (2nd calendar year) large gull ;)

from what i can discern, all are YLG. maybe there are some caspians in there but would need better resolution pics.
an all black bill is actually a good pointer towards YLG in a 1st summer (2nd calendar year) large gull ;)

So you agree the circled gull on the left is a 2cy YLG and the gull on the right of the circled gull is a juvenile as I said - just to be clear? ;)

Snapp - never mind, clearly a definitive ID is not going to be forthcoming - I thought perhaps the resolution was good enough (for people more experienced than myself!) to id the two gulls for certain outlined on your image in 2 and 3 just on the plumage that can be seen (including of course the black bill as pointing to YLG) but perhaps the two gulls are better left unidentifiable if Lou isn’t 100% sure. Usually I leave the gull threads to Lou or Steve Clifton for this very reason :eek!:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back