• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - North West Japan (1 Viewer)

misikuru

Poland
Hello. Can someone tell what gull is this? Herring gull or Slaty Backed? Photos taken today in Niigata pref., Japan, on a river bank, not so far from the sea. Thanks.

Attachments

• P1021979 (2).JPG
    P1021979 (2).JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 58
  • P1021980 (2).JPG
    P1021980 (2).JPG
    288.1 KB · Views: 60
  • P1021981 (2).JPG
    P1021981 (2).JPG
    379.8 KB · Views: 60
hi misikuru,
little to go on here; did you manage to take pics of other gulls in the same light? I'm tending towards a Vega Gull here as upperparts don't look dark enough for a Slaty-backed Gull. Head-neck markings aren't of much use since both can have have heavy smudgy markings during basic plumage. No (dorsal) pale tongue to p8 visible which would favour SBG but could be hidden.

hi misikuru,
little to go on here; did you manage to take pics of other gulls in the same light? I'm tending towards a Vega Gull here as upperparts don't look dark enough for a Slaty-backed Gull. Head-neck markings aren't of much use since both can have have heavy smudgy markings during basic plumage. No (dorsal) pale tongue to p8 visible which would favour SBG but could be hidden.
Thank you Lou, I managed to take a couple of pictures of a Black-tailed gull. I'm not sure if it helps you because the quality is as bad as the previous ones. I'll attatch them anyway.

As you mentioned, the upperparts wasn't very dark. Although the light condition was far from ideal (typical winter days of the Western Coast), it looked like it has more or less the same color as the Black-tailed.

Attachments

• P1021975 (2).JPG
    P1021975 (2).JPG
    430.7 KB · Views: 14
  • P1021976 (2).JPG
    P1021976 (2).JPG
    507 KB · Views: 14
Hello again. Here's another picture of a Vega/Slaty-backed (the poor gull has only one leg :/) and Black-tailed gulls. I took this pic the other day, so they aren't the same individuals as previous ones but could someone ID this? Vega or Slaty Backed?

Attachments

• P1022049 (2).JPG
    P1022049 (2).JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
1st left is as adult winter Slaty as they come, I think. The others look a bit bulky for Black-tailed but I think that's what they all are, but it is not with great certainty I say that.

cheers,
G

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back