• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID- Texas Gulf Coast (1 Viewer)

onlybill

This is most likely a Herring Gull, and nothing like a Lesser Black Backed or anything like that? The lighting wasn't too good today so the back looks a lot darker than in my guide books. Here on the Gulf Coast juvenile Herring gulls are not uncommon, but adults are, thus I have this ID problem. So this is a herring gull? regards~Bill

Attachments

• HerringGull.jpg
    HerringGull.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 217
That is something far more interesting than a Herring Gull or a Lesser Black-backed Gull. The massiveness of bill and body suggest Kelp Gull, but the mantle looks a bit too pale. It could be a hybrid Kelp X Herring (Chandeleur Gull). Another possibility is Yellow-footed Gull? I don't have any references at hand, so others will chime in I am sure,

Andy

It's late, but a quick look at Olsen and Larsson, and Yellow-footed Gull (L. livens) looks good. I think there are very few Texas records.

This is most likely a Herring Gull, and nothing like a Lesser Black Backed or anything like that? The lighting wasn't too good today so the back looks a lot darker than in my guide books. Here on the Gulf Coast juvenile Herring gulls are not uncommon, but adults are, thus I have this ID problem. So this is a herring gull? regards~Bill

Last edited:
It's not a Yellow-Footed Gull. The bill is actually still too small and straight edged for that. My guess would likely be a Chandeleur Gull. There are a few of them drifting around the gulf coast. The eye looks very Herring Gull like and the shape of the bill seems right in the middle as well as the mantel shade.

Hi Bill,

For future reference, Herring Gulls almost always have pink legs. So the leg color here pretty much rules out Herring Gull, even before you get into more subtle things like mantle shade and structure.

Regarding Herring x Kelp hybrid (which Gentoo suggested), Gulls of the Americas states:

Interbreeding of these two species has been reported from Louisiana since the 1990s..., and hybrids probably range throughout the Gulf of Mexico and perhaps the Caribbean.

The presumed F1 hybrid adults resemble Lesser Black-backed Gull (graellsii subspecies) or Yellow-footed Gull in their slaty gray upperparts... they tend to be similar in size and structure to Kelp Gulls, with swollen-tipped bills, yellow to greenish yellow legs, and orange orbital rings.
This description seems to match this bird. Sibley's indicates that Yellow-footed Gull has a bright yellow orbital ring. The orbital ring on the subject bird appears to be orange or red.

Best,
Jim

Very graellsii LBBG like exept for the bill, which is to heavy for LBBG!

So the hybrid suggestion seem very relevant.

JanJ

Steve: photo taken on the beach south of the Quintana Jetty (Bryan Beach) Sept 7, 2008. There was only one such bird. If you would like to download and post this photo on TEXBIRDS you have my permission to do so. Say, you ever hang around at Anahuac NWR?
regards~Bill

I used google to check out Chandleur Gulls, and it appears one was observed in 1998 pretty much exactly where I saw this bird (Quintana), and there was the same yellow-footed etc. confusion as well at first. Starting to look like I have an ID. Thanks

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back