• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Gull identification - Portugal (1 Viewer)

Luís Vieira

Portugal
Hi everyone,

This my first post in birdforum.

I come to ask your help for the identification of the seagull in the attached photos. I made this observation on March 9, 2020 and since then I have been looking for a definitive identification. The bird was perched on a fishing port in Lisbon, along with other individuals from Larus michaellis. In the distance, the lighter shade of the back was quite evident, looking like a "white" seagull. The legs had a more intense pink color than in the other immature seagulls present in the place (although it is not so evident in the photos). The photographs also show that the head has a more rounded shape than in the other individuals, which suggests that it is another species. Can you help to identify this species?

Thanks a lot.

Best regards,

Attachments

• IMG_3933_1_01.jpg
    IMG_3933_1_01.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3948_1.jpg
    IMG_3948_1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3948_1_01.jpg
    IMG_3948_1_01.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 28

lou salomon

the birdonist
indeed. on structure, eye smudge and scapular pattern it looks like a normal YLG, one with weak melanin production producing a pale midwing panel - which is quite common in spring 2cy michahellis. the pale parts are strongly bleached juvenile feathers.

Users who are viewing this thread