• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull - Parker River NWR, Massachusetts, USA (1 Viewer)

willkirby

United States
Possibly this is just a Herring Gull in some intermediate plumage, but I also wondered about Iceland Gull. A more definitive ID would be much appreciated! It was far away, but appeared to be about the same size or a bit smaller than other Herring Gulls around the same distance.

Attachments

• DSCN3397.JPG
    DSCN3397.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 57
  • DSCN3396.JPG
    DSCN3396.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 57
  • DSCN3395.JPG
    DSCN3395.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 56
For what it's worth, Thayer's is more of a western bird, being quite rare in Eastern NA. As to the age, given the apparent clean(ish) grey mantle it looks like an adult or perhaps 3rd cycle. These are tough photos to delve into something as complex as gull ID but I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be just a Herring Gull.

For what it's worth, Thayer's is more of a western bird, being quite rare in Eastern NA. As to the age, given the apparent clean(ish) grey mantle it looks like an adult or perhaps 3rd cycle. These are tough photos to delve into something as complex as gull ID but I can't see any reason why this shouldn't be just a Herring Gull.
Yeah, makes sense that it probably isn't enough to rule anything out. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back