• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Alcina

Melkorendil
Anyone with better gull ID skills than me want to confirm what this is, if they can manage it with the appalling image quality caused by holding a 14-year-old point and click camera up to the scope?

In the field the eye was definitely dark. The last picture includes a bog-standard herring for comparison.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.png
    6.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 5.png
    5.png
    102.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 39
this looks to be another herring gull. exact wingtip pattern would have been helpfull though. bill doesn't look good for caspian, there seems to be no solid black band on p5 (hard to assess though) and primary projection is on the short side, so, most probably a local argenteus herring gull.

Sorry, that was the best shot I could get of the wings; it was raining heavily and very dark, and the camera was a point and click. I didn't like the look of the bill for Caspian either, which is why I posted it here, in spite of the small head and dark eye.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back