• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull, Tyne and Wear, UK (1 Viewer)

villager

Hello all, firstly apologies for the terrible cameraphone picture, and secondly apologies for posting something that is probably very obvious, but like a lot of casual birders, I'm really not good with gulls...

Saw this one yesterday evening, and was struck by a few things (a) looked bigger and bulkier than the Herrings it was with (b) legs not pink - didn't look particularly yellow either, just pale (c) odd dark smear round the eyes - was the same on both sides.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20170927_135523 (1).jpg
    20170927_135523 (1).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Another equally bad image (it was stamping on the floor to attract worms)

Attachments

• 20170927_145215.jpg
    20170927_145215.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
No such thing as 'Tyne and Wear', it was abolished about 30 years ago and never been used for bird recording - was it Northumbs or Durham? ;)

Looks like a Herring Gull with yellowish legs to me.

Sorry - not my usual area - used to be when it was Tyne and Wear in the 80s but we were only up there for a funeral. Near Souter Lighthouse anyway!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back