• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls - Bulgaria (1 Viewer)

Yordan_13

Hello! I have some doubts about these two gulls. The first picture is from Feb 2019, I know some YLGs can have reduced black on p5, only on the outher web, but still not 100% sure about this bird. On the second picture, the gull is from Jan 2022, with striated head, pale iris, large white mirror on p10, yellowish legs, but also, I'm not sure what can be said because of the poor quality of the photos.

Attachments

• _MG_0419.jpg
    _MG_0419.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
hi Yordan,
i think the first bird is an adult YLG with reduced p5 mark and relatively little black in outer primaries too, pattern fits michahellis better than argentatus.
the second bird has a good potential for a yellow-legged argentatus but unfortunately primary pattern is needed to confirm. striation looks like in argentatus.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back