• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls in Portland, OR, USA (1 Viewer)

jocateme

Hey y'all,

Would appreciate some help with these last birds from my trip to USA. They're all gulls spotted in Portland, OR, by the banks of the Willamette River. I have my guesses, but would love some confirmation, since gulls are so tricky to ID.

1 - Mantle color seems good for Glaucous-winged, but primaries are too dark. I'm thinking Glaucous-winged x Western?

2 - Foreground. Glaucous-winged?

3 - I'm thinking California Gull, but shouldn't the legs be yellow?

4 - Terrible pic, sorry. But seems good for pure Glaucous-winged to me. Am I right?

5 - 1st year Glaucous-winged? (And poor bird, with the broken mandible :()

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• oregon1.jpg
    oregon1.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 50
  • oregon2.jpg
    oregon2.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 50
  • oregon3.jpg
    oregon3.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 50
  • oregon4.jpg
    oregon4.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 51
  • oregon5.jpg
    oregon5.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 54
1. yes, 'olympic'.
2. looks like one but would have liked to see wingtips better.
3. legs in california can be very dull, even gray.
4. yes.
5. looks pure to me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back