• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (3 Viewers)

hi jan!

http://www.elisanet.fi/hj.koskinen/2..._20070810.html : this one is quite close to the bird #78 indeed.

yes, the preparated wing is glaucescens x occidentalis.

the first of the two last pics is a 2nd summer michahellis (see that ad-like bill, yellow iris and already blackish "hand" but still many dark feathers on underwing coverts!)

the second one i think is rather a well marked 1cy cachinnans. edit: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=54354&highlight=vinckx i see you've decided it was a YLG. alright.

Attachments

• 30.05.06. agigea c.o.manci.jpg
    30.05.06. agigea c.o.manci.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 233
  • donaudelta, 2.09.2005 vinckx.jpg
    donaudelta, 2.09.2005 vinckx.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:

hm, yes, nice to be able to track down parentship - if indeed it was arg x cach. that young could even go as a pure cachinnans if it didn't have a ring. those polish cachis look strange to me sometimes as if they have already argentatus genes in them. do you know of any pic showing a definitive cachinnans x michahellis, jan? i myself still haven't found one. because i think they might hybridize at the black sea coast too. but as we saw how hard some ind. are, even adults, without ringed pulli it will be hard to prove them. do you know in which polish location there are known to breed YLG amongst caspian?

Last edited:
blue car

and since you've got an impeccable memory: where and when has this car been photographed ;) a strong hint are the birds in front of it...

Attachments

• wo.jpg
    wo.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 275
I would say that they are typical heuglini. Furthermore - judging by the moult score - they are most probably taken in November. ;)

JanJ

allrightie! 19.11.1998 to be precise. could i get you taking out the book or did you recognize it as november moult stage pic without looking it up?

is that a kaspisk trut in your avatar?

Last edited:
Of course a qualified guess Lou - could have been some LBBG,s somewhere in western Europe for that matter. I recognized the image from GULLS. My avatar is a 1st winter Armenian Gull.

JanJ

Of course a qualified guess Lou - could have been some LBBG,s somewhere in western Europe for that matter. I recognized the image from GULLS. My avatar is a 1st winter Armenian Gull.

JanJ

you'll excuze my guess - gr. coverts looked like caspian to me but on that small image... can you give me the link to the original, please?

wow. it seems i have to look for harder tasks.
what i find a bit strange on this caspian gull are the very fine barred gr. coverts, a bit like 2nd gen. feathers (which of course they don't are), the rel. strong dark scapular marks and how many scapulars already moulted on 2. september, all of these surely within the normal variation.

Attachments

• larcac 1.win 2.9.05 sf.gheorghe e.vinckx.jpg
    larcac 1.win 2.9.05 sf.gheorghe e.vinckx.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 257
113 - very hard with the radiation around it!!3:)

Looks dark enough to be a LBB but the nape markings look a bit extreme, maybe it is a Heuglin's in a double bluff style! Narrowness of the tertial crescent suggests and subad/3rd year bird?

Maybe I'm not thinkng wide enough.

Anyway here's one for you to have a shot at.

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• gull wing.jpg
    gull wing.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 235
113 - very hard with the radiation around it!!3:)

Looks dark enough to be a LBB but the nape markings look a bit extreme, maybe it is a Heuglin's in a double bluff style! Narrowness of the tertial crescent suggests and subad/3rd year bird?

Maybe I'm not thinkng wide enough.

Anyway here's one for you to have a shot at.

Cheers,
Andrew

hi andrew,
the 'radiated' one is well an adult i think. and the uniform grey nape is not blurred in photoshop 3:)
yours looks tentatively like a 2nd summer caspian

and the next mysterium...and in addition the dark mantled bird without 'radiation'

Attachments

• Kopie (3) von IMG_9247.jpg
    Kopie (3) von IMG_9247.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 397
  • Kopie von IMG_9248.jpg
    Kopie von IMG_9248.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 396
  • lar.w.hull mang.jpg
    lar.w.hull mang.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:
Would the radiated one be a black-tailed gull perhaps?

I saw your other small gull on the other thread - a remarkable beast - has to be something like a dark winged little gull or a black-headed although I've never seen a black-headed with wings that dark or this late into the year.

As for the one I posted Caspian is a long way off!

Cheers
Andrew

:clap::clap:it is a larus crassirostris.
one's for sure: that was no little gull.
that immature wing...got to take time for it which i haven't at the mo.; a canus or brachyrhynchos maybe?

Last edited:
shoot! that's a difficult age class and pics of them guylls are rarish on the net.
something exotic, hm? "interesting" - ...
counting the strange grey-tonged p7 and 8, p6 missing? it can't be one of the common argentatus-type lwhg. looks darkish grey in the pic - jan is probably having a smile and outer hebridish andrew a lough too now - that's why this is a game
oh, relict gull? 8-P

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back