• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (2 Viewers)

hi micky,

nice to have one more sneaker here! although i'm doubting that rissa brevirostris is right, it would be nice to have some competition in this thread, and anyone is invited to post mystery gulls!

cheers up to the shetlands,

Hi Lou,

cheers for that, spur of the moment guess, due to broad trailing edge. Back to the drawing board!

Micky.

actually you could be right, micky, and it's me who is the fool. i dismissed kittiwakes cause i thought they don't have these grey tongues on inner webs. but now that i've looked up and read a bit, it surely could be a july/august 2cy red-legged kittiwake moulting into 2nd winter plum. sorry for having been arrogant.

Last edited:
HT078617 looks like a herring with an abnorm thick bill while HT258708 gives more the impression of a GBBG. but both could be marinus or argentatus ;) they haven't been ringed as chicks, have they?

I was away over Christmas & New Year - here's the gull I posted in it's full glory Micky was right!

1st sum RL Kit from July last year.

Have no idea what that Dutch Birding bird is - except maybe a common tern with bizarrely black outer primaries??!!

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• 1st sum rlkitt_1.jpg
    1st sum rlkitt_1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 134
hi andrew,

glad you're back. i whish i had such a good view on a RLK! (saw some distant ones at point reyes, calif. back in 1992).

what do you make of this? maybe easier with a flightshot. i think the date is 26.10.2007
http://www.forumromanum.de/member/forum/images/85/user_70085/normal_590012.jpg

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /member/forum/images/85/user_70085/normal_590012.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request

any view would be nice,

pim

the first link still shows the dreaded "Forbidden" message.

the second one is odd, well the caption to the pic is. I have no experience with larger NA-Canadian gulls but it look like a second cycle Western Gull (wymani) with a third cycle bill. Amazing what you can learn from a book. I wish Steve Howell would do the Euro gulls as well...

pim

ok i'll post 2 pix including a flightshot directly even this is not totally legal.
here we go:

Attachments

• normal_590005.jpg
    normal_590005.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 203
  • normal_590012.jpg
    normal_590012.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back