• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gwent birding (5 Viewers)

Hi all.Hope everyone had a great Christmas?

Walking up Newtown this morning turned up a pleasant surprise.The tiny pool at the far end of the Long Feeder had a Kingfisher fishing from the overhanging tree into the waters edge where the ice had melted.

had a wander around Parc Bryn Bach where there was alot of ice and not many birds. Only interest was a freezing cold Goldcrest feeding in the willows.

a few of you guys might be interested in this. There was a Black Kite feeding with the red kites at Gigrin Farm this afternoon. It could have turned up a day earlier when i was in wales!! rather than god knows how many miles away.

gwents got a snow bunting or two aswell at the moment. Nathens blog (weekendbirder) has some decent pics of it. Certainly a bird worth seeing if you get the chance.

Spotted this buzzard in next door's garden... searching for scraps no doubt.

Attachments

• IMG_1885.JPG
    IMG_1885.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1894-1.JPG
    IMG_1894-1.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Bloody `ell Steve,thats one hell of a garden tick!
Keep your fingers crossed and you may get the Kite I saw at SV yesterday being mobbed by a Buzzard and a few Raven.

Nice one steve, i am having to make do with hundreds of redwing and fieldfare. Counted almost 4000 redwing and 2500 fieldfare fly past the window in work last wednesday.People were estimating tens of thousands over weymouth. Even managed to catch a few this afternoon aswell!!

Put some fat out and he turned up again, on our patio. Pics through the window but only 4 metres away.

Attachments

• IMG_1935 [].jpg
    IMG_1935 [].jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Has anyone checked to see if the SEOs are at Waunafon yet?

I was over there on Thursday afternoon Steve...bloody lovely it was when I arrived and made my way as far as the large tree on the track - took me about 20 mins through the snow and then the fog came down! Waited about 20 mins and it lifted took some pics and then made my way back but no signs of the birds. The road has now got a barrier over it so you to either park and walk or stay where you are - in our inclement weather I will be sitting in the car!

:t:

Attachments

• Where-are-all-the-shorties-.jpg
    Where-are-all-the-shorties-.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 40
Just been walking the dog over the Cardi ans spotted about 2 dozen Redwing (mostly) & Fieldfare...apples are in my garden - come you buggers!

Watched a GS Woodie for about 5 mins too which was nice. :t:

21st January 2010

Just come out of my mum's place and watched a Red Kite above Harcourt Street - might be a pet owned by Mike as I don't think they are allowed to keep pigeons there...lol !!:-O

Popped doen to Silent Valley for an hour this morning for a walk and to fill the feeders.The usual suspects about and also came across a dead Buzzard.No signs of a predator attack or being shot and judging by the pronounced breastbone (see pic) I am thinking starvation during that cold snap we had.

This afternoon myself along with my daughter Bethan,Gary and Alan went up to Gigrin for the Black Kite.The light wasnt the best for photography but what a stunning Bird!

Attachments

• IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 60
Just a quickie from the last weeks walkabouts....working backwards

Yesterday spotted a Red Kite above the woods by the Cardi, its getting to be a regular sight over Ebbw. GS Woodie in the trees further on.

Sunday... Big finch flock over the cardi consisiting of abt 40+ goldies and probably 10-15 siskins...couldn't see anyything else in with them.

Saturday...Heron & 2 Mallards in a small patch of water that gathers on some rough ground over the cardi...Kestrel sat on a post by Robert Prices.

Last week...nothing really major but large flock of LTT's over the cardi.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back