• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Habitat images help (1 Viewer)

Hi
I am a full time bird artist and I am helping the World Parrot trust to raise funds for various projects the latest is to stop illegal wild bird trade. They will be selling and auctioning my paintings. The problem is that there isnt much habitat in Cornwall. Is there anyone who lives, works or is visiting who could let me have any habitat images. For example close up of relevant trees, fruit, rotting branches, vegitation (Bromliads, etc), clay licks and general views, also Parrots would be good. I do not need high quality images accuracy of habitat and scale are more important for reference.
I normally paint out in the field and although I have travelled to many places my reference material is not great.
I thank you for your time and I will be posting this on some other Parrot areas for example they are trying to raise funds for the Thick billed Parrot in Mexico.
Its not just Parrots which will benifit.

all the best
Griff

1st photo -Habitat: "cerrado" with Buriti Palms (Mauritia flexuosa), in the background sandstones cliffs, near São Gonçalo do Gurguéia, Piauí, Brazil, December 1999.
Hyacinth Macaws nest in holes in the cliffs, Blue-and-Yellow Macaws and Red-and-Green Macaws also inhabit the area. Many other parrots, including Turquoise-fronted Amazon, Yellow-faced Parrot, Red-bellied Macaw, Blue-crowned Parakeet among them, occur in this area in NE Brazil.
2nd photo: close up of a cliff face with at lasst one nest hole.

Dalcio

Attachments

• Piauí.jpg
    Piauí.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 50
  • NestCliff.jpg
    NestCliff.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Griff, take a look at the opus page for Dominica, and once on there, follow the link for the site "Syndicate". Two species of parrots live in Dominica, and if you follow the links to their opus pages, you will see images of the birds. Most photos on all four pages are by me, and you are welcome to use my images as reference material for your own artwork. (One trick; clicking on almost any image in an opus page will bring up a larger version of the image).

Cheers
Niels

Take also a look at this site for information on Hispaniolan Parrot which is a page under SCSCB. Hispaniolan Parrot is one of those harmed by "taking" of wild animals. You might want to contact someone about the copyright, but I cannot imagine anyone in SCSCB not wanting you to use these images for artwork with a purpose like what you describe.

Niels

Edit: I just now see that you uploaded this to a Brazil forum. If you only wanted Brazilian answers then I am sorry.

Hi Niels and Darcio
Thank you for the information and images I am looking at different regions where ever members of the parrot family live. Although I cannot paint everyone it is good to have a variety of reference material and information. The habitat and vegitation is a primary importance to be able to put a species there correctly, once that is achieved I can research the species, Obviously close up habitat isnt always area specific and a fig tree or a creeping vine can be found across the tropics, etc. Thank you for your help and if you know anyone who would be willing to take some habitat shots in exchange for limited edition reproduction please let me know. My web site is www.artbygriff.com and you can see on the originals/parrots page a couple of ones from my imagination,
all the best
Griff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back