• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Hainan, China. Cinnamon Bittern ? (1 Viewer)

Hainan on the fly

I've kicked up a similar looking bird 3 times while living in Hainan without being able to get a clear look at it. Each time I immediately thought Cinnamon Bittern but wasn't able to get a picture until the last sighting. Unfortunately this is the best I could do :confused: . I was thinking it could also be Yellow Bittern but don't have any experience with this species and am not sure how variable their color is. Any thoughts on this one would be much appreciate. It's been kind of a thorn in my side, honestly.

Cheers,

Brian

Attachments

• bittern.jpg
    bittern.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Hainan on the fly

This ought to be Cinnamon Bittern as I can't see any sign of the contrasting wing pattern of Yellow when I look closely - the bird appears to be that uniform cinnamon colour all over, including the whole head.

Does this page help?

Yes, that link really helps. I was comparing pictures of the birds on the ground. In flight the difference is really obvious. Thanks, I missed that.

Cheers,

Brian

ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

Users who are viewing this thread