• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (1 Viewer)

The White-tailed Eagle was back in its usual area early afternoon. I walked along Crooked lane from the B3058 and took shelter from the rain under some trees much nearer the A337. At 13:33 the eagle appeared at the southern end of Angel Lane and then moved along the tree-line to circle around Hooper's Hill. I lost it to view for a couple of minutes and then it reappeared and after a minute or so it disappeared, presumably in, or on the eastern side of, Breakhill Copse.

Haven't been able to get down to the coast recently, but hope to this coming weekend. Anyone know if the WTE is still there this week, or if it has moved on ? Last sighting I can see on the web was about 3 or 4 days ago, but I'm not au fait with all the sites.

K.

Its still in the area, as there was this report today:

''imm. Flying low steadily over Silver Street westwards between Bowling Green and Hordle.''

But, it seems it is becoming more erratic with its appearances. It was only seen once on Sunday for example (at 09:00 at Hordle Lane), so I missed it.

There was also this report for 18/1 on hoslist
"Twas I who started rumour re sighting from Angel Lane. Yes, I saw it about 14:00 flying just above tree-tops, over ploughed field to west of junction of Angel Lane and New Milton Rd. It was heading towards the coast."

Just heard on Radio Solent that is was also seen on 18/1 flying along the cliffs at nearby Highcliffe

Last edited:
There was also this report for 18/1 on hoslist
"Twas I who started rumour re sighting from Angel Lane. Yes, I saw it about 14:00 flying just above tree-tops, over ploughed field to west of junction of Angel Lane and New Milton Rd. It was heading towards the coast."

Just heard on Radio Solent that is was also seen on 18/1 flying along the cliffs at nearby Highcliffe

Thanks to both above.

Sounds as if I might be in for a frustrating time at the weekend, but probably still worth a try. Only ever seen (a pair of) sea eagles up on Mull before, and that was a distant view.

K.

Thanks to both above.

Sounds as if I might be in for a frustrating time at the weekend, but probably still worth a try. Only ever seen (a pair of) sea eagles up on Mull before, and that was a distant view.

K.

Appears to now be frequenting an area of land that isn't particularly viewable from any roads at the moment, despite quite a few people looking for it other places. Its now a matter of luck on the day and hoping its up and about flying around as when it settles again its generally out of view.

Angel Lane and Hordle Lane are almost certainly the best two roads to work to try and see it though.

Found today was a Red-breasted Goose between Solent Breezes and Brownwich Pond (just NW of Titchfield Haven) with Dark-bellied Brent. It is apparently unringed

This is most likely the same individual that was in the county a couple of winters ago frequenting the Keyhaven/Pennington/Normandy area, and Ferrybridge (Dorset) and West Wittering (West Sussex) in previous winters before that.

Just joined and thought I would mention I was lucky enough to see at least 2 Red Kites today over Highclere area (near the Stud). There were 5 birds circling and I managed to ID at least 2 that were Kites (I think the others were too but cannot be 100% sure, do they mix at times with buzzards?). Looks like they spooked the birds in the wood nearby as there was a hell of a racket and lots of wood pigeons etc flew out in a hurry when the birds flew over it....

Anyway, hi all...

Graeme

Sea Eagle Lymington Sighting

The sea eagle which has been seen around Hordle was in our garden today. Swooped down and killed a magpie.
Around 12.15am.

Just joined and thought I would mention I was lucky enough to see at least 2 Red Kites today over Highclere area (near the Stud). There were 5 birds circling and I managed to ID at least 2 that were Kites (I think the others were too but cannot be 100% sure, do they mix at times with buzzards?). Looks like they spooked the birds in the wood nearby as there was a hell of a racket and lots of wood pigeons etc flew out in a hurry when the birds flew over it....

Anyway, hi all...

Graeme

Welcome to BF Graeme, the Highclere area is pretty good for Red Kites, so theres is a pretty good chance that the other birds of prey in the sky at the same time were indeed Kites too.

However it is not unusual to see Buzzards circling in the sky with them on occasions,so thats always a possibility.

The sea eagle which has been seen around Hordle was in our garden today. Swooped down and killed a magpie.
Around 12.15am.

Hello,

I am not sure whether what you have seen in your garden today was the White-tailed Eagle, they would usually prefer very large open areas and woodlands in which to operate. It would be quite unusual behaviour for one to land in someones garden (unless by garden you mean large field), and to take a Magpie too...Most White-tailed Eagle are scavengers.

Did you get a photo of it at all?

Thanks.

Sea Eagle Lymington Sighting

Hi the bird we saw yesterday in the garden was probably the one everyone has been out watching and looking for which was seen around Hordle - about ten minutes drive from here. Our house is surrounded by fields, woods and a large park and has a stream just over the road and is also a few mins walk from the Salterns. I did not get a picture unfortunately but it landed on our shed for a while and left the magpie and flew off. Hope to see it again and this time my camera is on the window ledge!

Appears to now be frequenting an area of land that isn't particularly viewable from any roads at the moment, despite quite a few people looking for it other places. Its now a matter of luck on the day and hoping its up and about flying around as when it settles again its generally out of view.

Angel Lane and Hordle Lane are almost certainly the best two roads to work to try and see it though.

Well we went down to the Lymingston area and were indeed out of luck. We saw no eagle and no lapland buntings near Hurst Spit either. (lots of buntings, but all reed as far as we could see.)

Ah well, we did have a good view of a peregrine on a post.

K.

Anyway, hi all...

Graeme

Hi. That's a good area for kites. Living near Whitchurch, a few miles from highclere, we see red kites several times a week, quite low over the house. I even had the uplifting experience last week of casually glancing up through the Velux window in the roof of our kitchen just in time to see to a kite flying just over head.

And yes they do sometimes mix with buzzards, but normally there seems to be a sort of mutual deliberate ignoring of each other ;)

K.

Hi. That's a good area for kites. Living near Whitchurch, a few miles from highclere, we see red kites several times a week, quite low over the house. I even had the uplifting experience last week of casually glancing up through the Velux window in the roof of our kitchen just in time to see to a kite flying just over head.

And yes they do sometimes mix with buzzards, but normally there seems to be a sort of mutual deliberate ignoring of each other ;)

K.

I am only recently getting used to seeing them - I have seen a pair quite often at the hawk conservancy in Andover that turn up during the displays - lovely birds.
Now I would really like the opportunity to see a wild sea eagle...

G

New Forest - Hen Harrier & others?

Hi there,

My first post on here ... will be heading down to the New Forest next weekend, we're staying at a B&B in Ogdens so will mostly be walking around the Hampton Ridge/Pitts Wood/Ashley Walk area (and possibly round to Fritham too).

My main target being Hen Harrier ... I've just bought 'Where to watch birds in Dorset, Hampshire & IOW', which mentions them being seen 'regularly' in this area ... also possibly Hawfinch, GGS etc.

Anyone have any more useful info on where/when I could reliably find Hen Harriers (and any other specialities) in the area?

Thanks! ;)

If you're out on any of the large heaths, and the weather is decent, you have a good chance of seeing a Hen Harrier. There is a place nearby where they come to roost, but I can't give it out on a public forum.

There has been a Great Grey Shrike at Holmsley, south of Burley, but they can be mobile at the best of times.

If you're out on any of the large heaths, and the weather is decent, you have a good chance of seeing a Hen Harrier. There is a place nearby where they come to roost, but I can't give it out on a public forum.

There has been a Great Grey Shrike at Holmsley, south of Burley, but they can be mobile at the best of times.

Thanks - shame you can't reveal the roost, but obv completely understandable! What is the best time of day to spot them?

I can't help re hen harriers but the Royal Oak at Fritham is a great place to visit if you fancy a break in that area.

You can walk or drive down the hill (woodland on either side of the road) from there to Eyeworth Pond and walk around that area.

http://www.new-forest-national-park.com/fritham-walk.html

Yup, will be visting the Royal Oak for sure! B :)

Worth keeping an eye on latest sightings at HOS... I'd say this could be helpful.

03/02/11 Hen Harrier Shatterford male and fem. flying low then went down into the heather. SU345064.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back