• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hampshire (1 Viewer)

An excellent hour over high tide at Farlington on Sat afternoon 3rd - highlights being 2 juvenile Curlew Sandpipers, a Spotted Redshank, 2 Ruff, a very good count of 29 Greenshank, 2-300 Redshank, 150+ Black-tailed Godwits, 100+ Grey Plover, many in summer plumage, and a Whimbrel. 15 Wader spp seen in total, and I missed both the Ospreys !

All - Can anyone tell me where Broadmarsh is and particularly the slipway where the Iceland Gull is hanging out as I thought I might pop down at the weekend but have no idea where to park or how to get there.

Thanks

Keyhaven, 08/05/12

A good selection at Keyhaven today with a total of 60 species recorded. The highlights were a Black Tern that was frequenting Fishtail and Butts Lagoon, the Wood Sandpiper still on the Shoveler Pools and a Little Gull on Fishtail. There was also a good flock of 50+ Whimbrel feeding on the Meadows.

A couple of record shots below

Attachments

• btern.jpg
    btern.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 69
  • lgull.jpg
    lgull.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 57
  • ctern.jpg
    ctern.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 65
  • ctern1.jpg
    ctern1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 54
Hi

We're down in Hampshire for a long weekend (thanks Your Majesty). Can anybody recommend any non-sensitive sites for Nightingale and Woodlark, please?

If you go to http://www.goingbirding.co.uk/hants/birdnews.asp and search for Woodlark over the last 2 months, you'll get lots of sites. The area between Pig Bush and Shatterford (Beaulieu Road Station) also known as Bishop's Dyke, is usually a good bet. The woods around Ashlett Creek near Fawley Power station are the usual spot that people quote for Nightingales, but I'm not sure whether many will be singing now.
David

It looks like Pennington is the place to be today, with B-W Stilts, Glossy Ibis and Night Heron. I was there on Thursday and the best bird was, erm, Med Gull :(
David
#

We were a bit further east yesterday at Pagham having forgotten that Chichester is actually in Sussex (oops) and then spent the afternoon at the Historic Waterfront in Portsmouth (which is actually in Hampshire) doing 'jubilee' stuff but we're now in Southampton for two nights - wish it was three - like fireworks but don't fancy the drive back to Shropshire starting at 11 p.m. with work at 8 a.m. on Wednesday. I'll have a look at the location of Pennington as we have no firm plans today.

I've had a look at Pennington on the map and can't see any obvious places to go for the species listed above. Should we be looking here ...

http://www.visitsoutheastengland.com/things-to-do/keyhaven-and-pennington-nature-reserve-p59863

Any directions and tips for finding the birds listed would be helpful. We have an unambitious target of seeing 200 species in the UK and all but the Ibis would assist - the Garganey would only be 50% though as one of us has seen a pair whilst the other was 3 metres too far up the path - good job we're not acrimonious.

Not quite sure where any of the birds are (except Night Heron) as I haven't been down but the stilts have been reported on the Shoveler Pools and the Ibis appears at the back of Fishtail.

This map might help.

Map

Last edited:
The Ibis, if it is still there, is extremely elusive. Even on some of the days when it is seen, it is only seen once or twice, so don't expect too much. The other birds on the site are well worth it though - Night Heron and B-W Stilts are not exactly standard fare in Hampshire.
David

Thanks both. We found the site on the 2nd attempt. Road signs coming out of Lymington aren't that helpful. We walked the circuit starting with the path alongside Fishtail then back around by Pennington Marsh with a final detour to see the Stilts. A local birder kindly showed us where the Night Heron had been seen but it wasn't in evidence.

We spent a good couple of hours in the New Forest near Pig Bush and eventually tracked down a singing Woodlark by the strategy of birding by wandering around. Didn't think we were going to see one until a single bird flushed from quite near where we were standing (on a path) and showed quite well.

Both areas provided some entertaining birding in fine conditions.

Anyone know if the Glossy Ibis is still on Farlington Marshes please?

Birdguides have it there at 07:30 but nothing since then. Thought I might pop down early tomorrow am for a look.

Used to bird the marshes in the 80's when I lived in Portsmouth. Went to school just up the road at Springfield and would pop over during lunch or after school. Happy days!

Should be a good time to go to the Marsh this weekend. Weather looks fair.

BOP’s

Short-Eared Owl, Peregrine, Buzzards, Kestrel, there’s been a Merlin on Baker’s Island since late July, so always worth a look.

GEESE

The Brent are just starting to come in.

DUCK

Not that many yet, but a pair of confiding Common Scoter, along with Pintail, Teal and Wigeon. RB Mergansers arriving too.

WADERS

A nice selection, Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Ruff, Spotted Redshank, Whimbrel, Dunlin, Knot, Godwits, Snipe and Waterail.

PASSERINES

Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, maybe a few Yellow Wagtails and Bearded Tits. The bushes always hold the warblers.

I guess you are talking about the Farlington/Langstone Harbour area?
Is this a list of species you have seen there recently?
Are you sure about the Merlin?

I see on Birdguides there was Lesser Yellowlegs at Northney yesterday (14th) so it would have been a good time to visit. I haven't been birding on farlington / hayling for over 5 years so it's about time to pay a visit.

Paul

Should be a good time to go to the Marsh this weekend. Weather looks fair.

BOP’s

Short-Eared Owl, Peregrine, Buzzards, Kestrel, there’s been a Merlin on Baker’s Island since late July, so always worth a look.

GEESE

The Brent are just starting to come in.

DUCK

Not that many yet, but a pair of confiding Common Scoter, along with Pintail, Teal and Wigeon. RB Mergansers arriving too.

WADERS

A nice selection, Avocet, Green Sandpiper, Ruff, Spotted Redshank, Whimbrel, Dunlin, Knot, Godwits, Snipe and Waterail.

PASSERINES

Wheatear, Whinchat, Stonechat, maybe a few Yellow Wagtails and Bearded Tits. The bushes always hold the warblers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back