• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handboek Europese vogels (1 Viewer)

Seems very good but pity about the introduced speciees/hybrids, as well as the weird coverage - eastern boundary just cutting through Ukraine and Turkey. Considering the ID challenges in E Turkey, Middle East, North Africa etc which might've benefitted from this book, seems like a great loss. The previous ID handbooks covered all WP

It’s worth mentioning what is included, like 20 pages of wheatears incl seebohm’s and Finsch’s, 30 pages of phylloscs, double page spread on hybrid thrushes, 8 pages on ficedula flycatchers, large intro sections on gulls, raptors, waders, American Black and Cabot’s Terns, Pacific Diver, Slaty-backed, Cape, Glaucous-winged, Heuglin’s gulls, American Horned Lark, Mediterranean Storm Petrel, Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross (with a photo of Indian with some text to explain differences), nearly all American passerines that have been recorded in northwest Europe, I say nearly as the empids only get a brief mention, 14 pages of harriers incl Northern, 28 pages of falcons incl Amur, eastern Red-rumped Swallow and Mediterranean Flycatcher. The list goes on and on!
Personally it’s the book (s) I’ve been wanting all my birding life!!
Cheers
James

It’s worth mentioning what is included, like 20 pages of wheatears incl seebohm’s and Finsch’s, 30 pages of phylloscs, double page spread on hybrid thrushes, 8 pages on ficedula flycatchers, large intro sections on gulls, raptors, waders, American Black and Cabot’s Terns, Pacific Diver, Slaty-backed, Cape, Glaucous-winged, Heuglin’s gulls, American Horned Lark, Mediterranean Storm Petrel, Atlantic Yellow-nosed Albatross (with a photo of Indian with some text to explain differences), nearly all American passerines that have been recorded in northwest Europe, I say nearly as the empids only get a brief mention, 14 pages of harriers incl Northern, 28 pages of falcons incl Amur, eastern Red-rumped Swallow and Mediterranean Flycatcher. The list goes on and on!
Personally it’s the book (s) I’ve been wanting all my birding life!!
Cheers
James
Oh I don't have the book yet, sorry if I was misleading. Obviously the species that are covered are done so extensively, as is typical for the author.

Any update as to when we might see an English edition of this title? I remember seeing earlier in the year that it was hoped to get an English version published in I think November 2022, but I doubt that we'll see it this year to be honest.

Any update as to when we might see an English edition of this title? I remember seeing earlier in the year that it was hoped to get an English version published in I think November 2022, but I doubt that we'll see it this year to be honest.
Work will begin on translating them in November 2022 is what I think was said, so don’t expect anything until later in 2023.
Cheers
James

I had a tweet yesterday informing me that "After 12 months the translations for Handboek Europese Vogels (ID Handbook of European Birds) by Nils van Duivendijk ... are done, fine-tuning and editing to come. Due autumn 2024" - just in time for my birthday I hope - fingers crossed!

John

It took me a while to get these books, but if I have a query I look into these first. It was really helpful to find out which "greenish" warblers I had been seeing in Mongolia. It should be on (and then regularly off) your shelf.

My qualms are mainly that it can take some puzzling to find out what they actually mean: I got really confused by the explanation of the differences between the wings of the Iduna warblers. One green line pointing in a general direction is obviously not enough for me... I am not the most technical birder, so it may just be me! Gotta try harder.

I got these books about three weeks ago.

Gotta admit that I use them a lot, but I am a tad disappointed. No worries, the contents per se is good. My biggest gripe is the tiny font size, and the way text boxes are distributed over the pages. These are clearly not field guides -- and not cheap, so I don't see why a bit more space could not have been allocated in order to reach a reasonable font size and have an easier structure for the text. I also would have loved some range maps, instead of the vaguest of descriptions like 'SE Europe'.

Lastly, but I guess I might be unreasonable-- it would have been nice to have the English bird names included. Especially when there are some discrepancies with Collins with the scientific names (like with some for the geese).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back