• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia

handbook of North American Birds, Palmer (1 Viewer)

fugl

Nope, never finished, and long superseded by the new Cornell "Handbook of North American Birds" available both in paper form (now out-of-print?) and by subscription online. Like you, I have all 5 of the Palmer volumes which I bought one by one as they came out.

Last edited:

Andy Adcock

England
Thanks fugl, pity it was never finished....can't find any Cornell volumes in hard format online.

Andy

Last edited:

fugl

Thanks fugl, pity it was never finished....can't find any Cornell volumes in hard format online.

Not surprised to hear that, though IMO the online version (BNA-online) more than fills the gap. A 3-year subscription is only $100 per annum and BNA-online has a major advantage over the paper version in the form of continual updates and revisions. Also, lots of photos for many of the species accounts, particularly newly revised ones, which the paper version mostly (entirely?) lacks (my only experience with the massive paper version was a brief look at one of the earlier volumes in a bookstore many years ago). Unfortunately there are no links to sound files, as yet but I imagine these will come eventually.

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
If you are interested in the more scientific side of bird knowledge, the BNA online comes included in an annual AOU membership.

Niels

gdhunter

I recently got hold of these 5 volumes, states here that it was never finished due to lack of funding, I assume that hasn't changed? http://www.buteobooks.com/merchant....BAO&Product_Code=Palmer1-5&Category_Code=NEAR

It might be worth noting that all five volumes are available individually at Amazon.com (USA), and as of late Aug 2015 used copies of all five could be purchased for as little $11.07 (rated in at least "good" condition) plus $15.96 for shipping ($27.03 total). The cumulative total from AbeBooks is $27.94 (again, all rated in at least "good" condition).

Gary H

Andy Adcock

England
Does any other book include a chart illustrating colours used in descriptions, talk about complete!

This is from Vol 1 of Palmer

Andy

Attachments

• DSCN4200.JPG
    DSCN4200.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 40
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Columbia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
ZEISS. Discover the fascinating world of birds, and win a birding trip to Colombia
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread