• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harlequin Ducks in Calgary in late fall (1 Viewer)

dant1999

Is it considered very unusual to see harlequin ducks in Calgary at the end of November? I saw a pair of them, a male and a female, at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary on the Bow River a couple of weeks ago on November 27th. From all the guidebooks I've seen, it seems that they can be found in the Rocky Mountain portion of Alberta during the summer but winter on the Pacific Coast. I was just wondering if there are localized populations that persist outside their normal range through the winter...

Attachments

• IMG_4932a1bf.jpg
    IMG_4932a1bf.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 51
Is it considered very unusual to see harlequin ducks in Calgary at the end of November? I saw a pair of them, a male and a female, at the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary on the Bow River a couple of weeks ago on November 27th. From all the guidebooks I've seen, it seems that they can be found in the Rocky Mountain portion of Alberta during the summer but winter on the Pacific Coast. I was just wondering if there are localized populations that persist outside their normal range through the winter...

Checkout the link below which details a number of field trips to Inglewood which, on a quick browse, suggests a handful of Harlequin are found there in late autumn/early winter and again in spring.
http://birdcomp.fanweb.ca/field_trip_notes/Inglewood_Park.html

I'll probably be there myself in April visiting my daughter who has taken up temporary residence in Calgary so I'll be asking for help myself anon,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back