• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier-France (1 Viewer)

Tib78

I took the liberty to bring this bird from a French forum.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Sans_titre.jpg
    Sans_titre.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 219
  • vqs.jpg
    vqs.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 178
Montagues Harrier

Hello,

the white colour at the tail ( rump ) and the stripe at the downside looks like Montagues.

Best regards
Dieter

The bird has five primary fingers, so is either Hen or Marsh Harrier. Structurally, and extent of black on wingtips, it looks most like Marsh, despite rest of plumage!

The bird has five primary fingers, so is either Hen or Marsh Harrier. Structurally, and extent of black on wingtips, it looks most like Marsh, despite rest of plumage!

That's my opinion too. This bird fits mostly Forsman's description of older male Marsh Harrier. Still, one detail looks inconsistent with this description : the vent should be darker than the chest.

So I was wondering whether this is an extreme example of what an old male Marsh Harrier can look like, or a bird with a slightly abnormal colouration...??

Odd colouration, but the shape and pattern can only be marsh harrier, and as has been pointed out older males can be very pale.

I too go with Marsh. I've seen occasional birds very similar to this passing through Lesvos over the years. The white rump looks like a general whitening of the tail base which is progressive rather than demarked, and is also straight across the tail, not curved as in the 'ring-tailed' harrier species. Also, the second photo from behind shows the upper forewing which is hidden on the side on pic, and you can see a darkening of the upper wing coverts and a very pale leading edge of the inner wing characteristic of Marsh.

There seems to be far too much agrement for a BF Harrier ID discussion, so just to stir things up. . . has anyone considered male Eastern Marsh Harrier like this one photographed in Hong Kong this winter.

Im not saying it is one, but would be interested to learn why it isn't.

Cheers
Mike

The wing chord profile alone (I think that's an aviation term) lets out Monty's and there's just enough colour variation on the wing upper surface to make Marsh the best fit. The brownish head steers me well away from Hen....

I have no experience of Eastern Marsh but MKinHK's link is to a bird that bares no resemblence to the French bird which looks spot on for an extremely pale Western Marsh.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back