• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harrier id (1 Viewer)

Geoff WORCS

Hi all, hoping you can help with Id. of this harrier seen in Serbia. Not my photo but asking on the behalf of someone else. Its been suggested that it's Montagues based on 4 primary fingers showing and striped and very smudged secondaries.
I'm unsure because the pale sub secondary band doesn't look wide enough or distinct enough. Also I can't see any distinct barring on the wing coverts. What do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508_172129_com.android.chrome-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20200508_172129_com.android.chrome-01.jpeg
    55.4 KB · Views: 132
wing formula with P10=P6
middle dark secondary band darker than terminal band
proximal and distal light band on secondaries both reaching body
well marked axillaries, big supercilium, no hint of collar
are all better for Monty
I agree on poorly marked greater coverts, maybe age related?
what date please?

I'd go along with the identification already made, i.e. Montagu's Harrier. In addition to above, streaking extends well down onto lower breast/belly. Seems sound to me.
RB

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back