• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Harrier in S Thailand (1 Viewer)

bhutjoe

Hi, I only have this one really bad photo that was taken at about 4 pm on Dec 31 in a very marshy area outside of Hat Yai, South Thailand. If I was in Canada I would have id'd it as a marsh harrier given the colour and predominant white patch on its rump. It was flying low over the marsh/reed beds and seeming to land in them briefly. I think a hen harrier is the only harrier where the brown female has such a noticeable white rump patch. The white rump was even more noticeable in the field from a long distance than in the photo. And I think a hen harrier would be unusual here - according to eBird pied harriers and eastern marsh harriers are the only ones records, but I don't believe either has such a white rump?
Is it possible to id this bird given the only photo is the one attached?
thank you in advance for trying:)
steve

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_103c.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_103c.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 67

bhutjoe

Hi Tom and Joern, thank you for the comments. I did read Robson's again and Pied does have a white uppertail covert band and anything else is at best a rare passage migrant. Thanks again for taking the effort on a truly bad photo:)
much appreciated
steve

johnallcock

Female and juvenile Pied have white rumps. Eastern Marsh can also sometimes appear to have a white rump patch at a distance, but they usually have some brown mixed in when seen at closer range.

Users who are viewing this thread