• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harry and lukes big london bird race (help us win our bet) (1 Viewer)

We will be doing it in May as my cousin is still doing his A-levels. The dates are yet to be confirmed.

Last edited:
Then come to Brent Reservoir, my local patch, it is excellent for Warblers and Waterbirds. If you go on the weekend there will most probably be someone in the hides so you can go in.

Sounds like fun. You sound like you know London well enough and there are so many local patches that you can visit.

In my opinion getting from place to place quickly is the most important thing, so it is probably best to focus the day around minimising travel rather than trying to get to all the birding hotspots. At least you have two days and can carve the city into two main birding zones without having to worry about shooting across the city in one day. A day out east focused on the Thames / Rainham marshes etc and a day out west with the reservoirs/Wetland Centre and (almost) Chilterns may be worthwhile. Almost any local patch within striking distance of your main sites should then turn up the majority of common species. I reckon the best way forward is to plan around some select birding sites and work out what you should see, then get some info from local birders about where you can see other target species local to these places.

Good luck,
Steve

So how do you guys rate my chances?

I think ill probably do rainham, crayford marshes, walthamstow res, king george res, brent res and maybe a few sites nearby for owls ect afterwards.

Then the next day, staines res + heath, wetland centre and then try and pick off any birds reported on london wiki or just go for target birds we have missed.

If any of you guys hear any hot spots for birds then please PM me or reply to the thread?

I would try and do a few less sites as (for example) there is nothing much that usually in May can be found at Walthamstow that would not be found at either Brent, Rainham or LWC.
I think your chances are fairly good though relatively common farmland species such as Yellowhammer and both partridges may be tricky.

Good luck!

Hi Harry

I did something similar in 2007, and really enjoyed it. I only saw around 61 birds in four days (managed to raise £1000 for London Wetland Centre though) - I'm sure you can do much better than that! Here's my blog: http://www.sponsoredbirdwatch.org/jamie/

I now work at the Centre and Tweet bird sightings etc. as @wwtlondon . Let me know if you're coming down and I'll see if I can help!

Jamie

Have an estimated total so far of 85 birds. Does anyone know any sites for Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Tawny Little or barn Owl, Corn bunting, Goshawk, red Legged and Grey Partridge?

These are all birds that would be great to add to my list if I am to break the 100 barrier.

Tawny is usually staked out in Hyde Park — check at the londonbirders yahoo group.
Goshawk is definitely too much to ask! Although there are Corn Buntings at Rainham now, I don't believe they breed anywhere near? Can't be of much more help as I do my birding just outside the M25...

Cheers guys! I wasn't sure about Goshawk but I thought I'd throw it in there. Any other regu;lar rarities that are not on the list? Sure there must be some grey Partridges somewhere? (As I say I'm new to London but will be scouting a number of sites in the next few weeks)

Dates have now changed to the 28th and 29th as young Luke has exams coming up.

My scouting if London sites so far is going well with Rainham, King george, and Wanstead flats producing 71 birds in less than a day despite missing some really common birds such as Long Tailed Tit, Coal tit and Rook. I think ive planned a good saturday route in east london now but still open to new ideas. I think the sunday will be chasing around London trying to tick off whatever we are missing.

Once again I'd like to thanks everyone for thier support!

Three of us London birders did the Oystercatcher bird race last May, winning with 90 species between the hours of 6 am and 6 pm. We did this by starting at Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens, then doing Rainham Marshes (west end via Rainham station) and finishing up at Walthamstow Reservoirs to mop up on things like Lesser Whitethroat. a few species were fortunately spotted from the train between Fenchurch Street and Rainham, so keep looking! And we still didn't get Green Woodpecker, despite our best efforts (there will always be a 'bogey bird' on these races, I guess) ...

100 could well be doable with more time and a more ancient woodland site (say Epping or Broxbourne, or Belhus Woods near Rainham), but there probably won't be anything at Crayford that wouldn't be easier at Rainham ...

Good luck!
D

Hi all, I am considering getting someone to help out with the filming for this. I should be able to borrow a video cam but if anyone would be interested in helping film and edit this event then please PM or email me?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back