• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anything exotic ever woken you up? (1 Viewer)

The Rookery would wake me up in my last property - 4 am in the morning. Lots of Rook communication going on

Cannot see it being exotic though ;)

Years and years ago the hotel my parents worked in had a few of those (not a good idea if you ask me). One guest got so enraged that he took two bricks and crushed one of them. He almost got lynched by other guests and had to cut short his holiday for his own safety.

I seem to recall a similar story involving the enraged resident of an english village with peacocks. To be honest if I could've found the blasted things int he forest at 4:30am I may have been tempted but in all the months of noise I only saw one once.

Gibbons are quite loud pre-dawn.

It has to be a mammal for me too...a pine marten in the outer part of my tent at Balmacara several years ago. On the same trip, we could hear ptarmigan on the camp site at Sligachan but in both cases it was too darn cold to climb out of the sleeping bag to take a look.

the tiny pitter-patter of House Bunting feet on the van roof in Morocco, or most recently the somewhat louder clitter-clatter of Black Currawong feet on the van roof in Tasmania.

Last week I was staying at Casa Pequeña (just outside Els Reguers in the far south of Catalunya) with Rob and Marg of Ebrotours. On Friday 14th I woke to the calls of a hoopoe.

Allen

Male Northern Mockingbirds often wake us early in the spring - until they find mates and stop singing.

Much worse, though, is when male Red-bellied Woodpeckers rap on our ten-foot-high metal chimney. The metal amplifies their rapping so it sounds just as if someone's using a jackhammer (pneumatic drill) in our living room. Unfortunately, the woodpeckers usually do their rapping at dawn.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

I wake up to Clay-colored Robins and a pair of Gray-necked Wood-Rails just about every morning in Costa Rica. In Garrigues and Dean describing their song as sounding like drunken chickens is dead on!

The most exotic things I have woken up to elsewhere are Pale-winged Trumpeters and the low growling of a Jaguar in Tambopata, Peru.

Feral ring-necked parakeets in Holland.

Yellow-headed Caracaras and Yellow-knobbed Curassows at Hato Pinero, Venezuela. Caracara sounds like something out of Jurassic Park!

The most exotic thing which didn't wake me up were Lions roaring just outside the tent in Botswana. Slept like a child all through it.

Last edited:
Lions and Elephants ..... I live a half-mile down from an animal trainer who trains wild animals for television shows. ;) Bothers me that they are in captivity though.

Camping dangers

Thirty years or so ago, when hitching and camping in France, I ended up one evening at a public free site on a hill in the woods above Fontainebleau. A pit toilet, a water tap and a sign asking you to take your rubbish with you. No electric light, and in a clearing in the trees.

I was the only person there, and I pitched my little tent, and had supper. Then, when it was getting dark, I retired. A while later, I was woken by something hitting the nylon flysheet of the tent. After this happened a few times, I decided to have a look, expecting to find some maniac armed with a knife.

I gingerly unzipped a corner of the door and looked out into the gloom, where I saw two cute little baby boars playing with each other in the clearing. I was enjoying this sight, when I then noticed the proud mother supervising them: as big as my tent, and of a much higher density.

I closed the zip, and tried not to breathe. About fifteen minutes later, silence returned. But I did not sleep easy!

My most exotic alarm call was a Cactus Wren in Southern Arizona. At home I've been woken by singing Wood Warbler and Grasshopper Warbler.

Howler Monkeys in Cusuco NP in Honduras... WOW!

1/ I'd agree with Howler monkeys, in my case, Costa Rica.

2/ Our 2nd night in Botswana in a canvas tent and anything that moved was 'exotic' - except the never ending prattle of guinea fowl. It sounded like there were huge numbers just the other side of the canvas. Not that much sleep that night.

3/ The islam call to prayer in Cairo

For the UK. nothing more exotic than blackbirds and magpies

Most spring mornings here in Crete, by Golden Oriole, Woodlark and Bee-eater, great alarm clocks
ColD

I love getting woken up by the call of howler monkeys. THE sound of the Latin American forest.

I also had a pair of hyenas come through camp one morning while camping in the Okavango. That's a sound you don't forget.

Birdwise, I'd have to say waking up to the call of motmots during a stay in Tambopata, Peru, would be my most exotic avian alarm clock.

I love getting woken up by the call of howler monkeys. THE sound of the Latin American forest.

I also had a pair of hyenas come through camp one morning while camping in the Okavango. That's a sound you don't forget.

Birdwise, I'd have to say waking up to the call of motmots during a stay in Tambopata, Peru, would be my most exotic avian alarm clock.

A few years ago a South African locum worked with us. He mentioned camping one time and hyenas just outside the tent. Their breath smelt awful!

... In the meaning of this forum, of course, not caged parrots with colourful language!

I'm well used to being woken by herring gulls back home in the Isle of Man, but in Cairns I was woken this morning by laughing kookaburras. I know that they're common here in Australia, but they're unusual for a Manxman!

I couldn't possibly divulge that sort of information,one must always protect the privacy of the lady.

POP

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back