• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has it been a good Waxwing winter in your area? (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
It certainly has been here ‪I’m happy to say on Wednesday was my 5th Waxwing encounter. Here are the list of my Waxwing encounters
1st Encounter
23rd November 2019
Figgate Park
2nd Encounter
28th November 2019
Craigleith Retail Park
3rd Encounter
16th December 2019
Balgreen
4th Encounter
23rd December 2019
Princess Street Gardens
and finally ...
5th Encounter
15th January 2020
Dalry outside a school
Normally I’d ever see Waxwings once if I’m lucky so had a pretty good Waxwings winter.

Last edited:
Very few have got past northern England so far, and in my county (Leics and Rutland) there have just bee two records, one fly-through and one briefly on wires in an out-of-the-way place.

So in a word, no.

Steve

How many birds in your sightings Euan? I had a hundred for several days outside my back garden a few winters back with other flocks around Farnborough at the same time. This winter, nothing within sensible driving distance. I agree with Steve, in general its rubbish this winter.

John

I'm on the edge of where they've got to - one flock of 13 for me so far, but there's been bigger flocks not too far away down toward the coast - they don't seem to have worked their way inland at all much.

I've had one, seen out of my kitchen window. It was perched on a tree behind a house across the road, the exact tree that one was in 3 years ago!
MJB

My first experience with waxwings was about 8 years ago when a flock of hundreds turned up at North Camp station in Hampshire. Every winter since then has been down right rubbish!

We have Cedar Waxwings here in California. They tend to stay in large flocks and they like to eat fermented berries in trees and shrubs. I have been seeing them almost daily.

Attachments

• Cedar Waxwing.jpg
    Cedar Waxwing.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back