• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has this been seen in the UK? (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone. I'm the son of a very keen birder who died a few months ago. He left a wardrobe with 53 photo albums of photos from his travels around the world. We cant keep all 53, so I've sorted through the whole lot (about 4,000) pictures and have put together 8 really marvellous albums of photos of birds, other animals, towns, villages, landscapes and people from across the globe. One album is entirely UK pictures and in it I've ended up with a photo of a bird that just doesn't look right for the UK. It looks more like something from Central or South America, so have I got my photos muddled?

So the question is, what's this bird and has it been seen in the UK?IMG_1938.JPG

if im not mistaken thats the blue cheeked bee-eater from cowden east yorkshire 1989 nice photo

please dont throw the photos away they can be of signifant to someone, even if its just the background, my father went through all his old photos years ago some went for £50+ on ebay

a photo is snapshot of that moment in time at that moment be sad to see your fathers memories lost

Last edited:
Isn't it the race (now species) of Little Green Bee-eater that occurs in Israel and Jordan?

Never seen in the UK, so I guess your father must have had a trip to Israel.

if im not mistaken thats the blue cheeked bee-eater from cowden east yorkshire 1989 nice photo

please dont throw the photos away they can be of signifant to someone, even if its just the background, my father went through all his old photos years ago some went for £50+ on ebay

a photo is snapshot of that moment in time at that moment be sad to see your fathers memories lost
Many thanks. My dad would be proud that it took 10 mins for a birder to sort out the mystery. I'm also pleased that my system worked and I've got the photos in the right albums. And no, I'm not throwing anything away. The pictures that aren't in the albums are all being kept in envelopes which I'm pleased to say take up a fraction of the space the albums did.

I must say that the 8 albums we now have are a fabulous memory of my dad and his travels. None of us in the family is a birder but they do make a great memory of him.

Yes - Arabian green bee-eater

Rob
Whoops - just looked at the replies more carefully and seen that this looks more likely. So perhaps I did get the photos mixed up and will have to take it out of the UK album. Hopefully it's the only one I got wrong; it did look a bit out of place. Thanks again all.

p.s. Yes - he did go to Israel.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back