• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Hauxley Wader UK (1 Viewer)

Alexander Stöhr

Hello, both are Sanderling. They vary greatly during this time of the year (and also in summer), when seeing them in Europe.
Reason for this is different advance in moult timing, 2 cy birds (?),and a slight variation in plumage, but I would like to receive expert confirmation, how true is this statement.
But please note:
  • lack of supercilium, that many (but not all winter plumaged Dunlins show (right bird)
  • good brown tone in the left bird, most similar is Little Stint, which is a much smaller bird
  • spotting to whole breast and breast sides, giving it a peppered appearnance
  • much too strong base to bill for a Dunlin in the right bird (? right, I am not sure about variation. Its just my gut feeling)
  • white blaze/ring around bill in the left bird, but I am not sure if this out of variation for a Little Stint. But it still adds to Sanderling jizz

oddrode

United Kingdom
Hello Alexander,
Thank you very much for your input.
I thought Sanderling at first but they weren't running to the waters edge and back like a clockwork toy, typical Sanderling behaviour. There were approximately ten in total and I was drifting towards Dunlin but your observations have me saying Sanderling.
Another two birds are shown in the attachment. IMGP0834.jpg

Alexander Stöhr

Yes,
the new birds are also Sanderling. The pitfall of a "calm" Sanderling, where lack of typical behaviour points away from Sanderling-jizz was mentioned in the german edition of "The MacMillan Guide to Bird Identification", dont know, if this also true for the original english version?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread