• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Hawk and Finches - Thornham, Norfolk (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

Morning

I dropped over to Thornham Harbour in Norfolk yesterday to try and see some Twite, but the light wasn't great so didn't get any views I was happy with in the field, but a couple of maybes, so thought I'd get some thoughts?

Also had a hawk turn up - I assume a sparrowhawk as it always is, but as I still have never seen a gos to get that real world understanding down, I do prefer to run the chunkier looking hawks by other people just in case.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• finch2.jpg
    finch2.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 85
  • finches.jpg
    finches.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 86
  • hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 83

Alexjh1

Thanks. Any suggestions for picking out twite from prospective mixed flocks? Was mostly looking for any that looked like they had small yellow beaks, or just looked different to the rest?

KenM

Thanks. Any suggestions for picking out twite from prospective mixed flocks? Was mostly looking for any that looked like they had small yellow beaks, or just looked different to the rest?
Alex Hi,

Twite in Winter do show yellow bills unlike Linnet, also they tend to show a yellow ochre wash to the plumage which when seen in good light can be quite distinctive.
Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread